Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,530

3 members and 2,527 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Advice, Please?

Thanks

Advice, Please?

Hey, all

Well, yesterday I got my Ultratherm heat pat and Herpstat and I set them up, with "hides" (a couple of plastic storage containers for stand-ins), a water bowl, Accurite, and some newspaper (for substrate). I'm currently at home (not at my apartment at school), so the test-run here wouldn't count as my week-long one once I get back--I mostly wanted to see how the heat pad/thermostat would do.

For reference, I'm using a Sterilite tub 28qt with dimensions 23"L x 16 3/4"W x 5 7/8"H (1956 model).

I bought the 11" x 6" heat pad, thinking that the 6" would be appoximately 1/3 of the length of the tub... aaand today, after leaving it to sit, I'm thinking I went too small.

The Ultratherm pad also has a heat limit: "These pads are regulated, because of low wattage, to stay between 65 and 95F (depending on exterior temperature) thereby eliminating the need for a thermostat." (The Bean Farm's quote).

I had placed the probe inside the tub through a soldered hole, so I could see if the pad could get the hot side up to temp.

I checked it all yesterday and today and the readings have bounced around on the hot side, but have been sitting tonight at 88.3 and the cool side is at 71... The thermostat hasn't been "green light"ed once--usually red or orange. And the Thermostat and the Accurite, though the probes are placed right next to one another, have a two-degree difference in the heat measurement.

Basically, I'm wondering what I should do for a heating source to replace the one I have. I think what I've got is too small, and because of the Ultratherm's heat cap (tops out at 95), It could make me unable to keep correct temperatures, depending. I plan on taping my probe to the heat source instead of inside of the enclosure, so I need to be able to play with whatever the heat differential is... so I'm thinking I should order Flexwatt. I'm not sure what size I should get to provide an adequate hot side and thermal gradient.

After all that long-windedness, I would just like to know if:

a> I should replace Ultratherm heat pads with Flexwatt, as their heat cap might prove problematic
    b> What size heat pad I should use for the above sized enclosure

I'm hoping to bring my baby home the first or second week of February, so I'd like to get the new heat source delivered soon and begin testing it when I get back to my apartment next week

Thank you in advance for any advice you have in regard to my setup/heat pad questions.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Re: Advice, Please?

i'd go for the flexwatt, a one foot piece of 11" should do the trick. tape the probe directly to the flexwatt and adjust the stat accordingly to get the right temps in the tub.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Those heat pad work fine I have several of them for quarantine tub and they get my temps rights where I want them I use a thermostat and get temps between 90-94 (I have also seen those get up to 105 without thermostat even thought the notice say it will not go higher then 95)

Now you mentioned the cool side is 71 and this is where you problem is, you ambient temp is too low therefore it affect the cool side but also the warm side

If your ambient temp in the room where you keep your BP can be bump to 80-82 degrees (Oil filled space heater) you will then have a cool side a the proper temp and the warm side with also be affected

Keep in mind that the UTH alone no matter what brand or what size will not get your temp on the cool side where they should be if the ambient temp is below 80 degrees.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    Keep in mind that the UTH alone no matter what brand or what size will not get your temp on the cool side where they should be if the ambient temp is below 80 degrees.
    That's good to note My parents' house (where I have been testing out the enclosure) is kept around 70--my apartment stays significantly warmer (~78).
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AzureN1ght
    That's good to note My parents' house (where I have been testing out the enclosure) is kept around 70--my apartment stays significantly warmer (~78).
    Well ambient temps make a big difference my house is kept at 72, my snake room at 80
    Deborah Stewart