Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

2 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My snake wont eat

i made a longer more detailed thread, but i guess no one took the time to read it.

Basically he's healthy, i use a heat lamp and a heater.

He's new i just bought him off a friend, he's been here 2 months and hansn't ate. Could it be because it's the winter season and some bp's dont eat much at that time.

Also i've tried live and pre killed food.
    I hate giing him live cause i worry about him, like what can i do to keep the mouse from hurting my snake?

anyway please answer

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: My snake wont eat

Well I did and just post an answer which was the following

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    Where do I start first very active with you and you have him for 2 month is not a good sign, hyper activity is usually a sign of stress.

Everything is OK except is does not eat! Well often food refusal is related to husbandry issues.

Now here is what your BP needs a cool side 80-84 a warm side 90-94 not sure are you measure your temps since you do not mention it but here is the proper and accurate way to do it.

You need to measure your temp at the bottom of your enclosure with a digital thermometer/ hydrometer you can get one at walmart and it look like this.

Stick or dial thermometer do not work and saying your room is warm does not mean it is warm enough with the proper temperature for a BP.

Your BP needs 2 tight hides one on each side, that he can squeeze in (all the sides of the hides should touch your BP’s body.

BP needs belly heat to help with digestion and for overall health to provide belly heat you will need a UTH or flexwatt heat tape as well as a thermostat to maintain proper temps and ovoid over-heating of the device.

Now for humidity you have several option.

Have a substrate that holds humidity better (Cypress mulch, repti-bark).
    Spray your enclosure

Have a second water dish on the warm side over the UTH

Have a humid hide.

When it comes to maintaining a glass tank properly I will send you back to this post

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32800

Now for the feeding I would highly recommend you do not wiggle a live prey in front of your BP all you do is stress the prey which will make it more aggressive toward your snake

Now your BP is a year old so do not waste your time feeding pinkies you need to first provide proper husbandry know your temps have proper humidity then once everything is proper attempt feeding

What would help is to know what your BP was eating before being in your care Live, F/T, Mice, Rats?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Hun, it's Sunday night. Alot of people that participate on this forum have children who have school in the morning. Just be patient and someone will reply.

Also, if you look in the first thread you posted, there are already 3-4 responses.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Yep I responded
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

Sorry i just noticed those now. I dont really tend to be impatient, i just worry a bit. = )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by borat1
    Sorry i just noticed those now. I dont really tend to be impatient, i just worry a bit. = )
    Thats okay LOL
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

= )

Do you think my electric heater plus my heat lamp, plus my two hide boxes should be good enough to keep my snake feeling comfortable?

as far as his cage goes anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by borat1
    = )

Do you think my electric heater plus my heat lamp, plus my two hide boxes should be good enough to keep my snake feeling comfortable?
    I have no idea, but if your temps are 82-84 on one side of the cage, 92-94 on the other and you're measuring them with a good digital thermometer, you're off to a good start!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

sup! BP can sometimes be really finiky... They have been known to "fast" for long periods of time.. sometimes even up to a year! All you can do is go to a vet if your Little buddy starts to loose weight. Another factor is the kind of food you are feeding your little snake. if you are feeding frozen try live, or vis versa. I have to piss off Kyna ( my baby BP) by bumping her nose with her food or running it down her back (works everytime for me) if you are feeding frozen (may sound nasty) but try cutting the mouse alittle to allow your snake to smell it. Some snakes also like 2 frozen food. Try thawing a frozen rodent then freezing it again... it makes the mouse smell more.. I hope this helps! good lucK!!!

Peace, love snakes!

Thanks

P.S. When trying the "pissing off" technique... IT TAKES A LONG TIME!!! It took me 30 min the first time but it gets easier. ( this way only works with feedign tongs. NEVER TRY WITHOUT TONGS!!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast