Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

0 members and 3,002 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,551
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I want a Male Burmese Python

Quote Originally Posted by rmune0750
    no you don't...

wait till it gets 20 feet long
    please, lets keep the comments about large constrictors to people who actually have experience keep them.
    Reticulatus.Net

Brian Watkins

Thanks

Hm.. if you really want one, why say that you are not meant to have one just because none of your local shops happen to have one for sale? In this age of Internet breeders everywhere, there has to be one somewhere..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    I personally would say don't do that!!! I wouldn't give a damn penny to someone that breeds them. No pun intended on those that do but I HATE the fact that people continue to breed burms. There are already plenty out there and yet people continue to mass produce them. Its different with ball because they arent a GIANT snake. Just my oppinion on it
    I hate to sound abrasive, but, if it is bad that people breed Burms.. how is it OK that though there are tons of unwanted normal BPs out there, we are breeding pretty ones for their color traits? I am just wondering.. small or large, each type ends up in the wrong hands or in rescues..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmune0750
    no you don't...

wait till it gets 20 feet long
    what is this supposed to mean?

Hm.. if you really want one, why say that you are not meant to have one just because none of your local shops happen to have one for sale? In this age of Internet breeders everywhere, there has to be one somewhere..
    Yea I found one at a pet shop... but it turn out to be a female! I'm still looking forward to raising her and giving her a long healthy happy life.

I hate to sound abrasive, but, if it is bad that people breed Burms.. how is it OK that though there are tons of unwanted normal BPs out there, we are breeding pretty ones for their color traits? I am just wondering.. small or large, each type ends up in the wrong hands or in rescues..
    Preach it!
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    I understand that part, but burms are another story. Just about anyone can keep a BP while still having their safety whereas most people are nowhere near ready for a snake to reach lengths of 15 feet. BP to burms is apples to oranges to me
    lots of snakes

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    I understand that part, but burms are another story. Just about anyone can keep a BP while still having their safety whereas most people are nowhere near ready for a snake to reach lengths of 15 feet. BP to burms is apples to oranges to me
    Agreed. I think of balls vs burms is like apples vs. bananas
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Agreed. I think of balls vs burms is like apples vs. bananas
    i think its best to work your way up to the giants... there is nothing like a large predator coming after you for food (thinking you ARE food)... :eek:

... feeding burms or retics can be a scary thing sometimes... when they get into feeding mode there is no stopping them!!!

i would say that the most dangerous part about keeping the giants is the feeding part... hook training is very necessary with these animals!!!

... once get them hook trained they are conditioned and three or four good taps on the head will usually take them out of feeding mode.
    Reticulatus.Net

Brian Watkins

Banned
    Thanks

I disagree completely with working your way up from snake to snake. It kind of sickens me. No species can compare with other species, towards tempterment, feeding response etc. The only way to truly gain experience is to work hands on with the species yourself. There's no point in buying a RTB to work your way up to a Burm, or something of the like if you really want a Burm. All it leaves you with is an unwanted snake and adds to the "disposable" pet trade. All you do is wind up with a Burm you wanted, and a smaller snake you didn't. If you want the Burm, and wish to gain experience with Burms, then get the Burm. No one can truly tell you that you are, or are not ready for these snakes but yourself. Thats something you, and only you can decide. Best of luck with whatever you do!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    The only way to truly gain experience is to work hands on with the species yourself. There's no point in buying a RTB to work your way up to a Burm, or something of the like if you really want a Burm. All it leaves you with is an unwanted snake and adds to the "disposable" pet trade. All you do is wind up with a Burm you wanted, and a smaller snake you didn't. If you want the Burm, and wish to gain experience with Burms, then get the Burm. No one can truly tell you that you are, or are not ready for these snakes but yourself. Thats something you, and only you can decide. Best of luck with whatever you do!
    some good points!!!

as far as disposable pets... there isnt anything anyone can do to keep this from happening... except ward off impusle buyers. simple fact is that some people lose interest, or something unforseen happens that requires that person to get rid of there reptiles... fact of life.

giant pythons always start out as small snakes... and the experience and trust gained from raising such an animal is good enough to start someone out in these species (i know from experince)... you just need to be prepared for an animal that is gonna get big... like having the right kind of cages, and a good food supplier.

all i keep is retics, and there are reason for that... in my eyes there isnt anything else out there that does it for me.
    Reticulatus.Net

Brian Watkins

Thanks

I think part of the reason so many people suggest getting something like a boa before a burm is because a lot of people who have small snakes such as balls and corns want burms yet they have no experience 99% of the time with heavy bodied snakes. If someone has the experience with large boids, then I say skip the boa and get a burm. If not, I think a boa is a good snake to prep for a burm.

As far as raising it from a baby and getting used to size etc...for a snake to grow 6-8 feet in a year is not giving much time to get used to them being a certain size.
    lots of snakes

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast