Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

2 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Spiders????

Thanks

Re: Spiders????

You make some good points Robin however in defense of some of the smaller breeders they are just as likely to offer 'follow up' service. Many of my snakes came from small local breeders and years later I can still call them up and ask questions or just chat and some of the animals I didn't pay 'high dollars' for. It's not just the more well known breeders that offer their ears and experience as you probably know pretty well with Will.
    It still just comes down to do your homework and do your best to 'know' who you're doing business with, a breeders attitude says a lot about who they are whether they are big or small.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    You make some good points Robin however in defense of some of the smaller breeders they are just as likely to offer 'follow up' service. Many of my snakes came from small local breeders and years later I can still call them up and ask questions or just chat and some of the animals I didn't pay 'high dollars' for. It's not just the more well known breeders that offer their ears and experience as you probably know pretty well with Will.
    It still just comes down to do your homework and do your best to 'know' who you're doing business with.
    I agree, which is why I mentioned Justin Kobylka, who is a smaller breeder - but offers a very high level of service as well.

Will Bird is also a smaller breeder, but mostly sells CH females - but gets them well started and also offers a level of service beyond the sale. I also paid more for my animals from Will then I would have from some random vendor at a show or that I see advertised on classifieds, but I also knew that I was paying for more than just the snake - I was paying for an animal that had fed successfully for him every week, or else he would not post it for sale.

My point, which I'm not effectively communicating is that there is a LOT to be said for you get what you pay for. I prefer to pay a little more for a quality animal from a quality breeder, no matter what "size" they are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I think the key is the reputation of the person large or small. Character, honesty and service is what counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: Spiders????

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    Actually I have seen some very nice clean spiders in the 750-800 range.
    I agree with that price range, and I feel as a seller you dont have to take the buyers last dollar with an overpriced ball python! most of us small breeders are pure hobbyists that keep ball pythons for the pure enjoyment.

Most of the best quality ball pythons are coming from the smaller breeders that really care about what they are doing.

If you think that the high quality snakes are only coming from the big ballers and you want to pay a few hundred dollars extra, thats your choice.

Shop around, but do your homework. There are some great buys on BP morphs and they are not hard to find.

Thanks

Personally, I am VERY careful who I spend my money with. I will either buy from breeders that have a stellar reputation, or smaller guys that I feel comfortable with, seeing others that have bought from them. I base it on personal trust rather than "a deal." Take my recent Spider buy from Ed Clark; I saw that other forum members were happy w/ their buys from him, and he always takes time to answer my endless questions.. so it was a go.
    When it comes time for myself to sell the animals I produce this year, I hope that enough people will trust me, to buy from me; sure, I have never sold anything I have bred yet, but I am a trustworthy person and I only hope that people would realize that and buy from me, rather than some fly-by-night who's never posted a forum before. Sure, us smaller people are on a totally different level than Graziani or other huge breeders, but I believe that by building a rapport and making yourself visible, you can make it in your own niche.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    I agree with that price range, and I feel as a seller you dont have to take the buyers last dollar with an overpriced ball python! most of us small breeders are pure hobbyists that keep ball pythons for the pure enjoyment.

Most of the best quality ball pythons are coming from the smaller breeders that really care about what they are doing.

If you think that the high quality snakes are only coming from the big ballers and you want to pay a few hundred dollars extra, thats your choice.

Shop around, but do your homework. There are some great buys on BP morphs and they are not hard to find.

Top notch quality, service and care are not just guaranteed with the highest prices or the biggest names. These are qualities you should expect at all levels regardless of status. I've learned this lesson in the short time I have spent shopping around and getting to know who I'm interested in buying from. Some contacts I have made I would rather not deal with and did not buy from! Others have become what I consider friends to which I stay in contact with weekly, if not daily. I try and get to know who I'm buying from regardless of status and simply ask a ton of questions. Some sellers are helpful and genuinely care about what they do regardless of where they are in the game. Others have the "show me the money" attitude and these can be found all over the board at any price!

Everyone is an unknown until someone gives them a chance! As most of these forums are full of future breeders at some level. I would think you would support each other and not assume the worst, simply because someone is willing to sell for $100 or $1000 less than someone else may want for the same snake. Heck, I see that as a positive, more money in my pocket that I can spend elsewhere in my life or maybe even on another snake.

As Adam mentioned, there is a seller out there to cater to any buyer on any budget.

Thanks

I guess the point I was trying to get across is that high price doesn't necessarily mean better quality. There are plenty of stellar snakes in the price range I posted previously.

And I agree with you Ed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The point I was trying to make is - there is more to purchasing a quality animal than "the best deal".

There are several members here who are just starting out, that I would not hesitate to purchase from - not because of some perceived "deal" I might get out of it, but because I've seen their participation on this forum, seen pictures of their collections, and believe them to care for their animals in the same manner that I do.

I think Sean at EBN sums it up best in his new banner "Examine the snake, not the deal".

I took away from this thread more talk about the best deal. I'm simply saying, to me, the best deal is the whole package, not just the animal. Smaller breeders can also offer the whole package. I'm not saying don't buy from the small breeder, I hope to be the small breeder in a year or two. But I'd like to emulate breeders in this business who I share the same ideals with.

Thanks

Price is not the most important. The best deal is a quality, healthy, beautiful animal and a seller that backs up their stock and offers A+ customer service. However this does not have to come with a huge price.
    I see no one here going 'look for the cheapest animal so you don't have to pay'. I see people that have worked hard for their money and are wanting to invest in something they enjoy and being selective on who they spend money with.

No matter how we go about it though price plays a big part. There is no logical reason to spend $1600 on a spider when you can get just as nice of one from breeder #2 for $400 less and still get the 'extended warrenty' as I like to call it. If both breeders and animals are equal then price will come into play.

Sure, there are people who want only the cheapest and in the end they will probably get burned more times then not but those are also the people who probably don't do their homework and don't care much about where their snake comes from.

High price does not necessarily equal quality is my point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbpfanatic

Top notch quality, service and care are not just guaranteed with the highest prices or the biggest names. These are qualities you should expect at all levels regardless of status. I've learned this lesson in the short time I have spent shopping around and getting to know who I'm interested in buying from. Some contacts I have made I would rather not deal with and did not buy from! Others have become what I consider friends to which I stay in contact with weekly, if not daily. I try and get to know who I'm buying from regardless of status and simply ask a ton of questions. Some sellers are helpful and genuinely care about what they do regardless of where they are in the game. Others have the "show me the money" attitude and these can be found all over the board at any price!

Everyone is an unknown until someone gives them a chance! As most of these forums are full of future breeders at some level. I would think you would support each other and not assume the worst, simply because someone is willing to sell for $100 or $1000 less than someone else may want for the same snake. Heck, I see that as a positive, more money in my pocket that I can spend elsewhere in my life or maybe even on another snake.

As Adam mentioned, there is a seller out there to cater to any buyer on any budget.
    That's what's up!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast