Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

2 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Striped House Snakes just arrived!

Been looking for these a long, long time. Not the best shots because they just dealt with the stress of shipping, etc and need to settle in.

These are different then the L. Capensis with a genetic stripe trait I posted shots of before.

These three lovely animals are Lamprophis lineatus from the Kilamanjaro area of Tanzania (commonly known as the striped house snake) and were just shipped to me by Nick Mole of FCR Reptiles. Nick was extremely helpful with answering my questions and handling a shipping change I had to make. The animals were what was promised, (all sub adults over 2 feet) in great health. One has a moderate wound which is common with imports, especially wild caught.

If you are looking for some of your own Nick has not only these but some Pastel House Snakes and some other less common stuff from South Africa just in including wolf snakes and Rufus Beak Snakes. You can see his Kingsnake.com Ad for more details.

So here are my two new girls and new male. With the size of these guys I should be breeding the bigger female by August at the latest.

First the smaller female. As you can see she has the eye line to body pattern breaks that are common in L. capensis but unlike the striped capensis I posted pictures of earlier the line on the side is solid vs. the chain pattern on the recessive trait in L. capensis.

Here is another shot of the same snake as you can see while quite thin as most young house snakes are she is quite long (there is a good foot of her coiled in my hand where you can't see it) and the stripe is very vivid and beautiful. They also have eyes that are more "bug eyed" similar to Nambian House Snakes.

Next is the larger female. As you can see they all have a nice red brown shine to them, this shot shows it off best. She is a lot heavier bodied then the male and smaller female. She should put weight on quickly and size and be ready to breed late summer to early fall.

Again another shot of here showing the nice red colartion, the bright white solid striping which you can see transfers to a cream color as it decends down her body.

Last is a single shot of the male, he was the most flighty so I did not want to keep him out to long before letting him settle in. While not the best shot it does show a pretty good idea of the nice color they have and the way the line fades as it decends the body.

Again if you are looking for these I suggest you get in touch with Nick Mole at FCR Reptiles who can be reached at fcreptilesinc @ yahoo.com. Between Don at Mefezi and Nick at FCR it looks like we are strarting to see some less common Lamprophis come into the US.

These are a great addition to my colony here. We are working hard to develop one of the best collections of House Snakes and this was something I have been wanting to add for a long time. I am not sure how many Nick has but again don't expect to see them every other day,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

Thanks

Re: My Striped House Snakes just arrived!

Wow. That's one cool little snake! How big do they get?

Thanks

Female get on average 4-4.5 feet with the occasional monster getting close to 5. Males seldom get bigger then 3.5 and are much thinner even as adults then the females.

Of all the 14 species Stripes (those above) and capes (L. capensis) get to that size most often. Most other species are around 3 feet at the biggest,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice!!! I love them. They are so cute and their eyes are just amazing. Good luck with them
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Congrats on your new acquisitions!!! Those are beautiful snakes and I am glad to see someone so close to me working with them other than Dr. Ford!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPenn
    Congrats on your new acquisitions!!! Those are beautiful snakes and I am glad to see someone so close to me working with them other than Dr. Ford!
    Thanks and yea I am pretty stoaked on this batch, Neil dosen't even have any of this species,
    Jack Spirko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjspirko
    Thanks and yea I am pretty stoaked on this batch, Neil dosen't even have any of this species,
    Well, in that case, way to go!!! I guess it won't be too long before I see you selling offspring at the shows!!

Thanks

Wow, look at those eyes!! Beautiful snakes, congrats!
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

Those are really nice snakes. I myself am getting a House snake in a week or two. I think they are super cute.

Thanks

Congrats! I see why your so excited! Those are sooo nice! I second the eye comment.... way cool!!! Best of luck with them!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast