Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

0 members and 3,297 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: interesting.

Thanks

interesting.

My ball pythons cage has a water bowl and 2 caves, one on the cold and warm side, But there was a bare corner that had nothing in it so i decided to just put a hill of aspen there because it looked better. This morning i woke up and the ball python wasn't anywhere! so i thought about the hill and i stuck my hand in the pile of aspen, and surely it was there! He used the aspen as a cover and loves it and doesn't use the caves anymore! The temperatures are also perfect and same with humidity. Is this a safe thing for the snake? Or.. can the aspen affect its health? Why is it doing this?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PythonFan8
    My ball pythons cage has a water bowl and 2 caves, one on the cold and warm side, But there was a bare corner that had nothing in it so i decided to just put a hill of aspen there because it looked better. This morning i woke up and the ball python wasn't anywhere! so i thought about the hill and i stuck my hand in the pile of aspen, and surely it was there! He used the aspen as a cover and loves it and doesn't use the caves anymore! The temperatures are also perfect and same with humidity. Is this a safe thing for the snake? Or.. can the aspen affect its health? Why is it doing this?
    Question is if the temps are perfect, are your hides nice and tight touching your BP on all sides

A good hide is a hide where you BP can snug in!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Ball_Pythons
    Question is if the temps are perfect, are your hides nice and tight touching your BP on all sides

A good hide is a hide where you BP can snug in!
    They are tight caves.

Thanks

Well if your temps and humidity are bang on and the snake has the choice of two lovely snug hides then maybe it just wanted to go check out the pile of aspen. Sometimes we can and do worry a bit too much about our snakes doing anything "out of the norm". Fact is they are living creatures with a limited but working brain in there. They are going to do things occasionally that make sense to them and none to us.

Keep an eye on the situation, as long as the snake is thermoregulating appropriately and your husbandry is dead on...personally I wouldn't particularily worry about it.
    ~~Joanna~~