Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

0 members and 2,719 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks

Thread: Bps and RTBs

Thanks

Bps and RTBs

I was wondering what the deal was with them being together. I don't mean keeping them together, i mean somebody told me that my RTB can get my BP sick...I hold them both a lot, and it is really a bother to not have them be able to be next to eachother or near eachother while i'm holding them.

i'm currently holding them both (my bf has the RTB and i have the BP), and i want to know if i can take pictures of them together. any advice?

Thanks!!

Thanks

Re: Bps and RTBs

I think you could hold them together but not too much. But don't house them together EVER.

Thanks

oh i know about the housing part. i wont keep any of my snakes together, just wondering if when i take them out they can be touching...somebody said that an RTB can carry a disease.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Boas can be carriers of IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) and show no symptoms, but it is a SWIFT killer of pythons.

Thanks

Yea. I actually dont think its safe to hold 2 different species together at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Boas can be carriers of IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) and show no symptoms, but it is a SWIFT killer of pythons.
    Can the RTB be tested for it? We have a RTB and 2 bps. None are housed together of course, but they are kept in the same room.

I don't hold the RTB often (not because I don't like him, he's just my bf's and I have 7 snakes of my own to give continuous unappriciated affection to.)

I can't remember if my boyfriend or I have ever held the RTB before either of the bp's.

Also, is it any danger to corn snakes? Leopard geckos? Pac man frog?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danigurrl
    Can the RTB be tested for it? We have a RTB and 2 bps. None are housed together of course, but they are kept in the same room.

I don't hold the RTB often (not because I don't like him, he's just my bf's and I have 7 snakes of my own to give continuous unappriciated affection to.)

I can't remember if my boyfriend or I have ever held the RTB before either of the bp's.

The IBD can only be tested post-mortem(after the snake has died.) This is what makes this disease so worrysome, IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    The IBD can only be tested post-mortem(after the snake has died.) This is what makes this disease so worrysome, IMO.
    I found this in my research:

Q: Can the disease be diagnosed in live snakes?
    A: Yes...through blood testing ("For hematologic and plasma biochemical determinations, 0.6 ml of blood was placed in each of three microtainer tubes containing lithium heparin. All samples were submitted for hematological and plasma biochemical determinations within 30 min after collection. Whole blood examination included RBC, WBC, differential WBC, and determination of PCV, and Hb concentrations. Plasma biochemical analyses included determination of concentrations of sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide, urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, calcium, glucose, phosphorus, total bilirubin, cholesterol, uric acid, total protein, albumin, globulin, alkaline phosphatase, SGOT, SGPT. For comparative purposes, clinically affected boa constrictors were arbitrarily categorized as either acutely affected (<2 months following onset of signs) or chronically affected (>2 months following onset).

My boyfriend and I are going to be calling reptile vets from herpvetconnection this week to ask about testing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danigurrl

I am no expert on IBD, but I believe that I read that it only affects boids, so all those listed above would be in no danger.

Thanks

Just wash your hands before and after handling each snake. You can get that "Purell" stuff and that will kill it right off imo.
    Chris
    1.0 100% Het. for Awesome (Fluffy)