Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

3 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible rescue--advice, please

I'm set to look at a BP on Tuesday night. It's allegedly about two years old and about two feet long. The owner, who's been keeping it in the same enclosure as another BP (yikes), says it hasn't eaten in a month and a half. It's killing prey (mice or rats, I'm not sure--he's said both), but hasn't been eating it. A domination issue, he says, with the other snake. He said he offers food once a month. Possible, of course, the snake was in shed when he last offered, but I didn't get into too much more detail. Keeping snakes together told me enough: This guy is no Steve Irwin.

I really like this snake's markings and color, based on the pix I've seen, but I'm not up for adopting a tragedy-in-the-making. Any advice on what to look for in terms of mites, etc. Wide open for any advice here. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Possible rescue--advice, please

Any rescue should be done with the best intentions for the animal. It's possible to see no visible sign of problems, but end up with an animal that starts wheezing a month later. So if you decide to take in this animal, be prepared for the possiblity.

In general though, I'd look for mites and listen for any wheezing. Make sure the vent in clean and that the mouth is free from any discharge as well.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Is this guy asking an adoption fee? Maybe even print him off a few care sheets that mention feeding, housing, and husbandry in detail. We come off thinking he must be a bad guy because he doesn't keep his snakes seperate but so many people have made that mistake without knowing its not a good idea simply because the petstores do it. Give him pictures of the ball python that ate its cage mate(don't know the link off hand) and maybe he will change his practices. Also, if you can give him the number of a vet that will take care of reptiles.
    Hope this hells and I wish the best of luck to you and him
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Sorry to be blunt but rescuing and rehabbing any creature let alone one considered an exotic is tough and can be a "tragedy in the making" if you aren't fully prepared to deal with any eventuality. That might be sky high vet bills, making the tough decision to euthanize if all else fails, extremely strict quarantine measures, weeks or months of working slowly with this snake to get it back to full health. It can also be a walk in the park and everything can go beautifully but the fact is you cannot know which path you'll walk with any living creature, let alone one that's been poorly cared for.

If you aren't ready to commit fully to whatever the situation throws at you then perhaps you may want to recommend this owner place the snake elsewhere or help them locate a herp rescue in your area.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i recently rescued a 2+ year old BP, it is along battle, mine is still under weight but was able to get all retianed shed and eye caps off, she's beautiful!! they just ate yesterday i'll get pics tomorrow, but be prepared for anything,especially vet bills mines went 4 times since i got her...no mites or RI just internal parasites..

PS neither of my BP's have refused a meal in shed, EVEN WHEN i WAS feeding twice a week, i've since dropped to once a week unless they are really starting to hunt than i'll go get them one.
    1.1.0 BPs (Zeus and Athena)
    1.0.0 Great Dane brindle color (J.D)
    0.1.0 Rat Terrier (Maggie)
    0.1.0 Calico Mix pretty to some odd to others (Tasha)
    0.0.1 Mexican Bloodleg taranchula R.I.P. never came out of molting stage.
    Dan Hill
    Omaha Nebraska

Thanks

I have rescued a BP and several red-tails and corns and my Burm. I have also rescued a burm that didnt make it even through the first night. It's heartbreaking but if you care and you have the ability you try anyway. Good luck and I hope you can give this little guy or gal a fighting chance.
    Rick

I'm 42 feel like I'm 70 and act like I'm 12
    Ball Projects, and too many other animals to list, 2.0 human children 0.1 supreme ruler aka wife

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I got my first snake six months ago from a similar type situation--kept with another BP, no hides, no heating elements--and it's worked out beautifully. In that case, though, I asked and got to see the snake eat before committing. That apparently isn't going to happen here. This guy is asking an adoption fee of $100, negotiable, for both snakes and their enclosure, whatever that turns out to be. So far as eating while in shed, mine won't, and I've heard that's common. I don't think offering a care sheet/advice is appropriate in this case because this guy wants to get rid of his snakes and has published an advertisement.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

perhaps if you offer, instead to put the $100 towards vet bills to make sure they are healthy and parasite free he'll accept that as payment... you can always ask.

if he knows they are going to someone who will care for them in the best possible way... they may just gift the snakes to you. after all, you're going to get 2 new set ups.

best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

oh and i always spray new enclosures with Provent A Mite before putting any new snakes in. that way... i'm guaranteed to not have mite issues it's a great way to prevent all you snakes getting mites.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I have never heard of internal parasites.... what are they (I know - duh) but how do you know if he has them! I will do some research of course of my own but this forum is really a great tool for those of us who got into snakes (1 in our case - BP -- Squeezer) by accident. I have learned to love him though!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ssomerford
    I have never heard of internal parasites.... what are they (I know - duh) but how do you know if he has them! I will do some research of course of my own but this forum is really a great tool for those of us who got into snakes (1 in our case - BP -- Squeezer) by accident. I have learned to love him though!
    Next time your snake poos, bag it, put it in the fridge and drop off at the vet the next day to have it tested for internal parasites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast