Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,319

0 members and 3,319 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Need help with heat and humidity...

I need help with the heat and humidity in my snakes cage.

Monty (yeah, so original v.v') my ball python is currently housed in a 20 gallon breeder. And Cleo, my little corn snake is currently housed in a 10 gallon breeder.

Both tanks have screen tops and for heating an undertank heating pad. Monty has a basking light that is turned on when I get up (around 7 usually) and turned off at dusk. Cleo unfortunatly still lacks a heat lamp, but is should be getting one sometime in January.

To check the temperture of the tanks, each have a stick on thermomitor. (pardon spelling) Personally, I think there worthless but it was pretty much all they had in stock at the store and there supposed to be good. (cough)worthlessjunk(cough)

In humidity for the snakes I fail miserably in the 'Good Keeper' test. I have absolutely nothing to tell the humidity of the cages, nor do I have anything to control or regulate the humidity. I know this must change and I would very much like it too.

I do not want to start keeping my snakes in plasic bins. I would rather invest a good sum of money into the proper equipment to keep the tanks at the proper levels than have them sitting in some teeny tiny little fugly container better ment to stand in my fridge, helping leftovers from the stone age grow little animals.

Can anyone please help?
    Simple suggestions on companys that manufacture good heating and humitidy suppiles for snakes would do wonders.

Thanks

Re: Need help with heat and humidity...

-Brad

Thanks

Thank you EVER so much.

I'm particularly worried about the humitidy in the cages. My bp shed for the second time last night but there was still some dead skin stuck to his belly. (This was removed with a warm soak in the sink and some gentle pressure to peel it off)

My corn snake is also in the middle of shedding. Altho I'm not to worryed about her, her sheds have always been completed and easy I'm still bothered by the damned humidity. ;>.>

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i like my snakes in their little leftover containers sitting on my shelves.

honestly though... some people prefer plastic some prefer glass tanks... it's whatever floats your boat.

welcome to the forum!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

As far as heat is concerned...Ceramic heat emitters are great. They also have a long life...They emit only heat, no light at all. But you can run them all day long and provide constant heat to your ball python.

As for the humidity you can do a couple things...

-try a differen't bedding is one. I have been using the eco earth (shredded coconut husk) It holds humidity the best in my opinion. It also looks very good in the tank...adds a very natural junglish floor look.

-Cover up half of the screentop...I've got plastic wrap and even aluminum foil on the top halfs of some of my tanks.

-Larger water dish... more water combined with more heat = more humidity...

these are just a couple of things that I have done to improve humidity...

it's also a wise choice to purchase a good digital thermometer from wal-mart or home depot (accurite at wal-mart I think is like $12 and it does 2 temps warm and cool side) To make sure that your temp/humidity measurments are true figures.