Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

1 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

CCP as first snake?

Looking for a semi-aboral snake. CCP's seem to be calm enough. I have experience with getting a tank setup for a BP and raising it for the first 6 months or so. It's still alive, and going great. However, i want my own, sort of intermediate snake.

I know the basics, for tanks etc, heating. and what not. just was wondering if there were any other suggestions for a semi-aboreal. Also, price range is $150 or so.

Thanks

Re: CCP as first snake?

I think a coastal could be a great first semi - arboreal snake. They may be a bit nippy at first but will settle down with some handling and time. Also, you might look into West Papuan carpets. They grow to a bit smaller size than the coastals.

Banned
    Thanks

Mpenn has lots of them. Super neat to watch as they are active during the day

You should check out some that are available www.pythoninapeartree.com in your range...the finest this side of the Grand Canyon

Thanks

kind of an older thread now, but i just have to say how perfect CCP's are as a beginner snake. they get big, but they're so handleable it doesnt even matter... plus they really are bullet proof in terms of husbandry mistakes that may be made by a beginner.
    they were my first snake and still my favorite out of the 5 species i currently own.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1
    Looking for a semi-aboral snake. CCP's seem to be calm enough. I have experience with getting a tank setup for a BP and raising it for the first 6 months or so. It's still alive, and going great. However, i want my own, sort of intermediate snake.

I know the basics, for tanks etc, heating. and what not. just was wondering if there were any other suggestions for a semi-aboreal. Also, price range is $150 or so.
    I would say if you feel you can handle, cage, and feed a snake that can get over 8', then go for it. I typically say a Carpet Python or a B.c.i. make a great first snake IF you can provide the space and proper care they need. If you can't provide, then go for something smaller like a Ball
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

I don't see why not. I own one JCP and have been looking to add another but I just keep finding more cool house snakes and don't get around to it. Like has been said they are easy to keep and handle and they get very easy to handle as they get a bit older.

Babies are a bit nippy to say the least. My JCP was a little jerk for about two months it did not hurt but I felt bad because in reaction to his strikes I pinwheeled him a few times. It is just hard to not pull back when a snake strikes at you.

Poor guy I was not afraid enough to keep from getting bit but instinct got him jerked around, :eek:

So when I just recently got a Dumerils Boa who was also nippy I decided to try leather gloves. Just common smooth leather gloves. He only bit them once and then would strike but not land a bite. In a few weeks he got all calm.

I now feel with nippy boids gloves are the way to go, I was afraid of hurting their teeth but a soft leather is about like skin and if anything they don't like the taste. The big thing I think is you are calm and this speeds up the break in.

Again this is not about pain, just about not spinning the poor little guys like a acrobat,
    Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!