Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

cooling/off feed

When your snakes go off feed after a cooling period, how long does it take for them to eat again? My het albino female has yet to eat and she came on an extremely cold day and I am thinking she might of got enough of the temp to send her into breed mode. I have had her for a month today and gave her the chance to settle in(a week long), which the exploring stopped after about 2 days. Temps have been spot on since I got her (never went more than 79-81 or 90-92) and my humidity has remained between 50-55 except during shed which I bumped her up to 70. She has so far refused a medium rat, a small rat twice, and an XL mouse. One of the small rats was live and rest were either p/k or f/t.
    lots of snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: cooling/off feed

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    When your snakes go off feed after a cooling period, how long does it take for them to eat again? My het albino female has yet to eat and she came on an extremely cold day and I am thinking she might of got enough of the temp to send her into breed mode. I have had her for a month today and gave her the chance to settle in(a week long), which the exploring stopped after about 2 days. Temps have been spot on since I got her (never went more than 79-81 or 90-92) and my humidity has remained between 50-55 except during shed which I bumped her up to 70. She has so far refused a medium rat, a small rat twice, and an XL mouse. One of the small rats was live and rest were either p/k or f/t.
    In my opinion it has less to do with temps and more to do with adjusting to a new home ... find out what the person you got her from was feeding her and add some security to her enclosure .... 9 times out of 10 those are the biggest problems that cause a snake to go off feed when moving to a new home.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Well I did talk to the person I got her from (cueball) and fed exactly as he was, so I was thinking it could be some about security, but since she has not been exploring much, I figured she was settled. She has 2 hides already but I will get 2 smaller ones and add a small one in the middle too.
    lots of snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Well I did talk to the person I got her from (cueball) and fed exactly as he was, so I was thinking it could be some about security, but since she has not been exploring much, I figured she was settled. She has 2 hides already but I will get 2 smaller ones and add a small one in the middle too.
    She's not settled until shes eating ... feeding behavior tells you EVERYTHING about how your snake is doing ... a snake that is eating is doing very well ... and snake that is not eating is telling you something is wrong ... try filling her enclosure with loosely crumpled newspaper ... it works wonders.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

How big is she? Is she in a tub? Did Cue keep her in a tub? How many hides did he have? What temps did he keep? What temps do you keep?

If any of those answers are different, that is where I would start to troubleshoot.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    How big is she? Is she in a tub? Did Cue keep her in a tub? How many hides did he have? What temps did he keep? What temps do you keep?

If any of those answers are different, that is where I would start to troubleshoot.
    The hides part are all I don't know. I have asked him, and know the temps and the enclosure. My temps are almost dead on to what he had and she was in a tub(which will be my next thing to try) with him. Right now she is in a custom wood enclosure that is just a few inches longer than a tub. She has 2 hides, one on both sides, and to give her more privacy, I keep a towel draped over the enclosure and her water bowl in the middle of the enclosure.
    lots of snakes