Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

1 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Yummy yummy mice in tummy! lol

Here's some pics of monty gulping down some poor lil' frozen mice!

Here's the first mousie

And the second mousie!

And check this out, he looks sorta like a king cobra here! lol

Registered User Bighill_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Yummy yummy mice in tummy! lol

I would try and get him onto rats asap or you will be feeding him 5 or 6 mice at a time soon ,good feeder tho even in shed looks nice and healthy

Thanks

Re: Yummy yummy mice in tummy! lol

really? you think a small rat might do?

Thanks

u dont even have to jump to a small rat... a rat pup will do, just so he gets the smell/taste of rat.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

as long as the small rat isnt bigger around that he is at his largest point then it should be fine. The only issue i see that might come up is if it is used to smaller prey items, it might not take a larger one as readily, so you may need to start with smaller ones and work up to it. Also, sometimes they may go a little while with out eating during the transition, but thats nothing to worry about as long as it doesnt go on too long. There are people around here that can give you alot more info on that than i can though.

Thanks

And why should you switch to rats? It would probably make this snake go on a fast if it were fed anything larger than a rat pup/wean. This is an adult male Ball, who only needs, at the most, 2 adult mice per week to maintain his body weight. I only feed mice to the Balls, and one of my girls who I got in at 780g in April or May, gained 1000 grams in those few months. She's now 1770 empty.

If he eats mice readily(obviously he does), and they are easy for you to get on a regular basis, then keep doing what you're doing. Some of my snakes look at rats like they are the plague and a half. Throw a live mouse in there and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Don't fix what ain't broke.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Looking at the snake; he looks to be of a fine weight and build.. I would say that the mouse diet is fine for him then. Personally, I can't stand mice, but I believe that there comes a point in every topic where you need to take it in the context of "to each, their own." As long as the snake is not underweight, and the keeper can afford the food, and no other health risks are happening, I don't see anything wrong w/ mice as feeders.
    Congrats on feeding f/t' my snakes act like it's a throw pillow or something unless it's live!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    And why should you switch to rats? It would probably make this snake go on a fast if it were fed anything larger than a rat pup/wean. This is an adult male Ball, who only needs, at the most, 2 adult mice per week to maintain his body weight. I only feed mice to the Balls, and one of my girls who I got in at 780g in April or May, gained 1000 grams in those few months. She's now 1770 empty.

If he eats mice readily(obviously he does), and they are easy for you to get on a regular basis, then keep doing what you're doing. Some of my snakes look at rats like they are the plague and a half. Throw a live mouse in there and it's on like Donkey Kong.

Don't fix what ain't broke.
    I completely agree with Becky! There's no reason you have to switch. If feeding mice works for you and your snake, then go for it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Registered User Bighill_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

try and dissect a adult mouse and a rat of the same size the rat will have 20% more bone and muscle mass so a 3" mouse and a 3" rat the rat will be at least 20% heaver hence more food intake .you have a 3000 gram ball how many mice to keep it well fed ?? where only one rat just my 0.02 worth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bighill_Reptiles
    try and dissect a adult mouse and a rat of the same size the rat will have 20% more bone and muscle mass so a 3" mouse and a 3" rat the rat will be at least 20% heaver hence more food intake .you have a 3000 gram ball how many mice to keep it well fed ?? where only one rat just my 0.02 worth
    You actually pulled out the bones and muscle to measured them?

No one has said that you can't switch or that it may be easier to feed fewer prey items, but it's NOT necessary. It may be easier to come by mice, in that particular area or other reasons why they have chosen to stick with mice. You can achieve feed either rats or mice with the same results. All you have to do is weigh the prey items, if you are that concerned about exact measurements.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast