Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,099

0 members and 1,099 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: live or not?

Thanks

live or not?

Just wondering how many people feed their snakes live food or re killed, frozen, in tank, or in a different tank.

I have been feeding my baby (almost 1 year) live prey in his tank, i would hold him for like a half hour than i would put him back, than drop in a mouse.
    1.0 mini pincher -lucky
    3.2 bp-bonez, bonny, Klyde, Cheech, Chong
    0.0.3 cresties- Biggie, and Tupac, peetree
    0.0.1 leapard - littlefoot
    Im getting there.....

Stillwater, OK (school) - McKinney, TX (summer)
    Thanks

Re: live or not?

Quote Originally Posted by bonez
    Just wondering how many people feed their snakes live food or re killed, frozen, in tank, or in a different tank.

I have been feeding my baby (almost 1 year) live prey in his tank, i would hold him for like a half hour than i would put him back, than drop in a mouse.

I ahve had my BP for about 3 weeks and feed it live in a a different container because that is what he started on and I have not bothered to try and switch to FT.

Thanks

I feed my snake live prey in another "tank". Call it a large cardboard box.
    She won't eat during night for some reason. I thought they were nocturnal which confuses me even more. Each night she'll come out and try to get out for half the night. When I feed her in the day, I just take her out of the hide and put her in with the mouse. She'll eat right away.

I hear snakes can get parasites from live mice. Anything to look for at the petstore?

And what does FT mean? I know it refers to frozen food.
    I think its unnatural for the snake to eat prekilled food. Whats the plus of prekilling animals for your snake?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonez
    have been feeding my baby (almost 1 year) live prey in his tank, i would hold him for like a half hour than i would put him back, than drop in a mouse.
    Just wondering, but why?

I feed all of mine live in their enclosures. I don't handle any of them on feeding day, I let them have their peace and then just hunt from their hides.

Thanks

Originally posted byRascal
    Whats the plus of prekilling animals for your snake?
    Lots of pluses, first of all, a mouse or large rat can injure your snake,it might not happen, but the possibility is there. Live prey can have parasites,Also, , it is SOOOOO convenient to have the frozen rats, as I use for mine , in the freezer. I have a years worth, vacuum sealed. I have 9 snakes, including 4 BP , and they do great on the F/T rats. I would NEVER go to live feeding. I feed all in their cages. I put the F/ T rat into a big cup, or bag, and the snake goes right in, eats , and that's that. I regularly hold my snakes(not before or after feeding of course), and all are as gentle as can be.

Thanks

Live, in their enclosures. Thawing out frozen is a pain in the butt, IMO. Plus I breed a portion of what I feed off, and I don't want to have to go through killing and freezing them all the time. Some of my snakes are too sensitive to be taken out of their tanks to have a mouse thrown at them in an environment they're unfamiliar with.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Post Re: live or not?

If you raise and breed the rodents why would you freeze after you kill. Keep them alive until you need them and then kill them and feed your animals freshly killed. I alway feed prekilled, I have known to many people who have had a rodent cause injuries to their snakes.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakeLVR
    Lots of pluses, first of all, a mouse or large rat can injure your snake,it might not happen, but the possibility is there.
    Very true! this is why you must not leave the feeder in for extended periods of time and watch (if you have a smaller collection).

Live prey can have parasites,Also
    So can P/K then right? that is why it is so important to buy feeders from a good source.

I have a years worth, vacuum sealed. I have 9 snakes, including 4 BP , and they do great on the F/T rats. I would NEVER go to live feeding. .
    F/t can also pose problems if the rat isn't thawed enough it can really injure your snake. Some snakes will not eat F/T or even P/K for that fact.

I do not suggest feeding live to a new snake owner because of the complecations that can arise. I feed two of mine P/K and the rest live. It all depends on your animal.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

After a while thawing out rats for a larger number of snakes is tedious. However, my balls and my carpet pythons will not touch live or prekilled.

However, I feed all of my snakes in their enclosures. I have at least one ball python that is so shy, she would not feed outside of her enclosure. In fact, if I were to handle her that day of feeding, she probably would not eat for me.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

there are so many threads on this exact topic. feel free to use the search function to find some!

responsibly feeding live is perfectly safe and is the way many of the members here feed their snakes.

and just to add: frozen foods loose their nutritive value and having a years worth of prey items in the freezer will dramatically reduce their nutritive value!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast