Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

3 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Sonoran Mt. Kings

does anyone have one of these? I am going to see one feed this weekend and will buy it if all goes well. I have been doing my due diligence and reading everything I can about kings. i will have cage setup and temps in the right range b4 bringing home the snake. I have 10 gal aquar. with UTH and plan on using newspaper as sub. I would like to get CHE for extra heating as our home is set at 67 in the winter. I have ordered a Johnson A419 thermostat and have a couple digital thermometers. any help or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Re: Sonoran Mt. Kings

Pyros are awesome! Probably my favorite Lampropeltis sp. With your one UTH, you shouldn't need any supplemental heat source, as they do fine with a cool end temp in the high 60s to low 70s (thet like it cooler than other king species, heck they are active at temps in the low 50s in the spring here in Utah!). Keep the warm side below 85, and give him a tight hide spot, I mean tight! They can be tricky to get started on mice sometimes, as the hatchlings are usually lizard feeders in the wild. Once they start on mice, they are voracious feeders though, so if this one is already eating mice you should be fine. Nice looking specimens have to be my favorite North American colubrid.

-Evan

Thanks

Re: Sonoran Mt. Kings

thx for your help