Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

2 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: African Soft furred

Well, I am no expert. The guy who sold me mine said not to use hopper style feed bins for these guys (the wire ones that hang) because they will continuosly chew the food up and leave a heck of a mess and three inches of chewed food on the ground. SO I feed mine in a dish (I don't know why I even bother with the dish, they drag the food all over). I feed my trio a lab block and mix in wellness senior dog food, peanuts, birdseed, some rat treats. and fruits and vegetables. Basically, I give them what is around and available, the lab block being the staple.

I keep mine in a glass tank, but I only have one trio to deal with, not multiples. Glass tanks can be a pain when you have more than a couple.

It is intereresting to see these guys as pinks. They have fur....well, a few sparse hairs but they aren't naked. They do kind of look like half fledged birds...lol....I can't wait to see some in my tank.

Thanks

Re: African Soft furred

I keep mine in sterilite tubs. They are taller with no edges they can get a hold of to chew on. I usually keep some sort of untreated wood or small block in the tubs and they will chew on that some but not alot. I have 1/4 hardware cloth for the top also as well as "hopper" of sorts I made from the same material that hangs into the tub. It works pretty well and holds both food and a water bottle...maybe someday gravity fed setup but not at this point. I've not observed the messiness with food you where told about. In my tubs they will eat a piece of block food through the mesh until its round enough to fit through and they scamper off with it to a corner and eat it...or it gets taken away by a naughty tub mate LOL.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123