Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

0 members and 3,071 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Reduced Clowns

Thanks

Reduced Clowns

I bought pair of het clowns from Sean Bradley (EBN), fathered by his awesome reduced pattern clown. They won't be here til spring now because of the weather but...I have a question. They have a wild-type appearance (not reduced).

So lets pretend for a minute that the clown gene is DOMINANT so that you may better understand my question. Bear with me...

I want to know if I breed a reduced pattern (RP) clown to a normal female..say with a normal busy pattern...would the offspring be average clowns with a busy spotted pattern? Could I get a RP clown from a RP normal x average clown?

Or would I still get RP clowns because the clown gene determines the pattern? Maybe since the clown is double recessive (no normal genes) the normal pattern may be irrelevent?

The spider gene seems to be related to both parents patterns- RP normals bred to spiders produce RP spiders, but maybe that's because they have a normal gene in there....

Wow that is confusing. Hope someone out there understands my rambling...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Reduced Clowns

I think I understand what you're asking - because the hets are busy patterned, despite dad being reduced, you're wondering how much that busy pattern is going to influence your clowns, correct?

I'm not personally sure, I can only hope for my breeding plans that the reduced pattern of normal females can assist in the reduced pattern of the clowns (since the bulk of my normal girls are all very reduced, as well as Oliver, my 100% het clown boy in this thread: http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...204#post458204 )

Have you had a chance to talk with Sean and ask him what his thoughts are? I know that he posted to a thread here not too long about about reduced clowns and how to selectively breed for them.

Thanks

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...052#post429052

There is Sean's post. If you got a pair of hets from his stud......I would not doubt that you are going to hatch some awesome animals Give him a call if you have questions...that never hurts
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

From what I've seen there are both "recessive" and "dominant" reduced/banded patterns. If you have recessive reduced het clowns, then you should get a mixed of reduced and non-reduced clowns, unless the clown trait is more complicated or linked to the reduced pattern (which is entirely possible), then all your clowns should be reduced like their grandfather.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Thanks all! Yes that is exactly what I was getting at. And that is a great post of Sean's- I hadn't seen him post on here before. I have an email in to him right now.

Man I can't wait until they're old enough to 'dink' with!

Rabernet, what a great group of reduced animals! Especially that Oliver, wow I'm jealous. Good luck with your reduced clowns!