Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,308

1 members and 2,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Unhappy Almost got TAGED... a bit disappointed...

Recently I saw that my BP eyes have little cracks/wrinkles... Just now I took her out and looked at her eyes... I know there very head shy, she usually hides when I use to do fast movements around her face... Tonight I just wanted to make sure she can see.. so I held her in my left and and put my other hand half a feet away from her face and move it side to side very slowly... I thought the most that will happen is that I will freak her out a bit... At first it looked like it got sceared and turn her head away... Boy I was wrong... she snapped right at my right hand!!! I instantly put her back in her vivi.. What should I do, leave it alone for a while or what? What usually happens with you guys..? does your snake just gets sceared or does it strike when you put your hand in front of them? I swear I have moved my hand way faster b4 in front of her face and she just back off and hide... WHy did it strike this time?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Almost got TAGED... a bit disappointed...

She may have thought your hand looked like dinner with it moving that way right in front of her. Or...while a fast move may startle them into hiding...a slower, but still threatening (in their eyes) move may have made her decide to try and "chase it away."

The little "cracks" or "wrinkles" across their eyes is most often a sign of very low humidity and will clear up when proper humidity levels are reached and maintained.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also...just keep in mind that snakes will always be snakes. No matter how "tame" they may seem...they may strike out and bite at any time. They'll always have a reason, but we may not always figure out what provoked it.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Something else to consider -
    All those little holes wrapping around her mouth are heat sensors, well except for the front two which are nostrils. They use those to detect the heat of prey items. Your hand moving slowly in front of her face might just put out the heat signature of a nice, fat rat. This is even more likely considering you have already described an eye problem. Please bump up the humidity in her enclosure! The eye problem will probably go away.

Steve

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Or this could have been her saying welcome to the club. LOL.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Her humidity is okay... its always around 55%.. Could mite make her eyes like that? And don't they need the smell of a rodent to triger the eatting mode?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 581775017
    Her humidity is okay... its always around 55%.. Could mite make her eyes like that? And don't they need the smell of a rodent to triger the eatting mode?
    I've never heard of mites causing that sort of condition. What are you using to measure your humidity?

They don't necessarily need the smell, if the size/heat/movement seemed close enough...but I would suspect it was more likely a defensive strike and she was trying to make this threatening thing go away and leave her alone.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i would bumb up her humidity a bit regardless, for a few days and see if that helps. place your water dish over your UTH and that should help.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    I've never heard of mites causing that sort of condition. What are you using to measure your humidity?

They don't necessarily need the smell, if the size/heat/movement seemed close enough...but I would suspect it was more likely a defensive strike and she was trying to make this threatening thing go away and leave her alone.
    I measure by one digital and one dail type... 50-60% Is good right?

Atleast she did't try to bite the hand I was holding her with... thank god lol...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 581775017
    I measure by one digital and one dail type... 50-60% Is good right?

Atleast she did't try to bite the hand I was holding her with... thank god lol...
    That's a good range....but like Aleesha says, you might try bumping it up a bit for a few days and see if that helps. Maybe see if you can get a clear picture to post for us because we may be misunderstanding what you're trying to describe. And if you really can't figure it out and it doesn't fix itself with a bump in humidity, you might want to seriously consider a trip to the vet. No one can tell you for sure over the Internet how serious any given problem is.

As for the bite...don't worry about it. It'll be more startling than painful. Just relax and convince yourself that when it happens, it's not going to be any big deal. If you psyche yourself up into thinking a snake-bite from a little ball python is some terribly frightening event, you're likely to freak out and drop or fling your snake if she should happen to catch you next time....and then you'd feel really bad!
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast