Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

0 members and 3,334 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pine snake pics

Thanks

Re: Pine snake pics

You know one of the great uses for them as "show snakes" is if they will hiss and all and be all "mean" and you can then pick them up and show the kiddos how they calm down. Only problem is they just tend to stop the whole show pretty soon with regular handling.

Carl Kauffeld author of the Classic Keeper and the Kept mentioned in that book that he never worked with a few of his cobras other then for shows because it he worked with them to much even they would stop displaying. Anyone who had never read that book should, probally the best book ever on keeping snakes after more then 50 years to me it is still the best.

Glad to hear that beautiful snake is going to provide education. Education is the key folks, the people who kill any snake they see can't be reached any other way.

Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.

Find stuff you won't find ANYWHERE ELSE! Social Networking at HaterOrLoved

Spammers are scum! If I had my way they would all get reincarnated as feeder mice!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Show went well. It hissed a little, but didnt really cut loose like i had hoped. Oh well, i still had the 9 foot 7 inch 31 pound burm for shock factor . Ended up taking the pine, black rat, corn, and eastern milk that are locals to show some of our "safe" snakes in the area, and the lab TA's prepaired a slide show covering our local hots. I was very pleased with that aspect of the show. Also, just for fun we took a kenyan sand boa, euromastics (sp?) lizard, leopard gecko, blue tounge skink, bearded dragon, redtail boa, and a western hog nose.

Thanks

don't know? It's beautiful, I got 3, 2 California ones and 1 Arizona pine.
    All 3 will hiss and rattle their tail but once you pick it up it's like a kitten so to speak! I love them,

Thanks

I love Pine snakes! Northerns are my faves - even though they aren't as pretty as Black Pines.

Thanks

pretty snake, hissing doesnt sound like fun though. I have never heard a snake hiss beofre...but i'm sure i will one day. lol.

Thanks

Are the California gophers differant than the Arizona ones? What I mean is both my 2 Ca gophers are in their winter sleep now every winter they go to sleep but the Arizona gopher doesn't. Last winter I tried to get him/her to go but it didn't want to. I thought it was important that all gophers and pine sleep? As for hissing my big gopher does once in a while, he will be sitting in my lap then all at once he'll hiss. these have never bitten me the corns and kings have and the sand boa.
    Thanks
    Penney

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myreptiles
    Are the California gophers differant than the Arizona ones?

Penney
    There are several different subspecies of gophersnakes. In fact, there are several subspecies that are just located in california.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Registered User sassygirl221983's Avatar
    Thanks

never seen or heard of this kind of snake before but then again i'm still new to snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schlyne
    There are several different subspecies of gophersnakes. In fact, there are several subspecies that are just located in california.
    Wow! I didn't know that! Do you know of a site that tells about them?
    Thanks
    Penney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12