Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Are your temps correct???

Everyone says cool side should be 82-85F and warm side should be around 90-95F... But how do you guys measure? On top or under the substrate? I measure under the substrate... But what if your snake never goes underneth the substrate? Would it be getting enough heat? If you measure on top of the substrate.. Wouldn't it get burned if it goes underneth? All I know is that its a big diffrence!! If you want your temps to be 90-95F on top of the substrate it will be well over 105F underneth...and the other way around... The question is how do you guys/gals measure? What effects does it have?

Thanks

Re: Are your temps correct???

You have to make sure that the surface of the heat source (ie. under the substrate) is not hot enough to burn. Sounds like ~95 is the max. Too hot temps can cause neurological problems as well. You want proper temps above the substrate as well. The key is keeping the heat inside or adjusting the ambient temp in the room to an appropriate temp. That's why people advise against aquariums, because the glass loses heat. So either choose a plastic rack system/tub that holds heat (the snake's metabolism creates heat as well), use a lamp/ceramic heat emitter to heat the air, or keep the snake in a warm room (at least 80 from what I remember). As well you may choose a substrate (like newspaper) that does not trap the heat as much as, say, aspen, and limit the air flow (tape up the mesh lid if you have one).

Too bad it can't be all fun huh.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 581775017
    Everyone says cool side should be 82-85F and warm side should be around 90-95F... But how do you guys measure? On top or under the substrate? I measure under the substrate... But what if your snake never goes underneth the substrate? Would it be getting enough heat? If you measure on top of the substrate.. Wouldn't it get burned if it goes underneth? All I know is that its a big diffrence!! If you want your temps to be 90-95F on top of the substrate it will be well over 105F underneth...and the other way around... The question is how do you guys/gals measure? What effects does it have?
    Since i use newspapers as a substrate i measure right on top of it and since the paper is real thin its always the correct temp needed ,even if the snake hides under it.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

If you use aspen or something similar that can be pushed around, you want to measure max temps on the tub.

Just because the surface of th substrate does not get up to ~92 degrees when it is just sitting there, doesn't mean that when your snake is on top of the substrate trapping the heat it doesnt get up higher.

Use a temp gun to measure the substrate on the warmer side... then hold your hand pressing down on it a bit for a minute or two, then remove quickly and measure it..

i bet its warmer
    bryan

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I messure on top of the substrate. And since there is a probe with the Acu-Rite thermo. I put the probe under the hot hide. Since they spend most of their ime on top of the ground under a hide this to me was the best choice. You be suprised how warm it can get in a mostly inclosed clay hide at 95 with 60-65% humidity. The temp out side the hide can be right on but inside I have seen it (on test runs of new setups) get up to 100-110 with an ambiant(sp) temp of 95. So figure out what works. Bau as always make sure everything is a go before you put your snake in there.. LOL

Hope this give people some ideas.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I put my thermomoter on top of substrate.Just like Joe said the paper is thin so I get the right one everytime.
    -Ross
    GO CHIEFS!

I love this guy-----

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 581775017
    This is why I think it's important to use a very thin layer of substrate if you use belly heat. Aspen can work fine...but put down just enough to absorb waste (which is all the substrate is for anyhow). They don't need a thick cushion of bedding. I aim for not more than 2-3 degree difference between the floor of the enclosure and the top of the substrate....whatever it may be.
    -- Judy