Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,806

2 members and 2,804 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
    Thanks

BP Eyes Problem?

I've only started keeping BP's this year... I bought a 5 year old adult at a show in Tulsa. He appeared to be in very healthy shape and according to the breeder, he is actively feeding. I did notice he still had some small pieces of skin on his head and still had both eye caps from his last shed. Here's where I messed up... I've pulled eye caps off before so I tried it with this guy. I got most of the caps off, but now his eyes are clouded over and hard. I think he is completely blind now... he seems to have a little sense of sight, maybe like light and shadow, but he doesn't move his head when I put my hand in front of him. He also runs into my hand with his nose.
    Can anybody help me with this issue? I will take him to the vet this week if I can't figure anything else out.

Thanks,
    Rob

Thanks

Re: BP Eyes Problem?

Eye caps are not a big issue and they normally will come off just fine with a good shed. Also "pulling off" any shed isn't a good idea, period. You really might want to take him to a vet to get that checked out now!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

You're absolutely right. I will take him to the vet Wednesday. It's the last time I pull caps off. Anybody know anything I can put on his eyes until then?

Thanks

i dont know what to put on them but could it be the snake getting ready for another shed? Soak him in luke warm water
    Cold Blooded Asylum-COMING SOON to a Rack Near You

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Aww sorry to hear that dude,

Yeah I think the vets is a darned good idea really. I always hate having to go anywhere near the eyes.

When you say you got "most of the caps off" how many layers are we talking here (approx natch ) or do you mean the caps broke up when you were removing them? How did you remove them anyway?

When do you think he's due to shed again? If your very lucky then it's just another layer thats hardened and dried and a shed might help if the humidity is right.Sadly retained caps (as I'm sure you already know) tend to "star" rather than go completely opaqe most of the time from the few times I've seen bad cases so I wouldn't pin all your hopes on that.

Surprised he runs into your hand though as their heat sense is extremely well developed - may be he's just extremely chilled and curious. **fingers crossed**

If it is multiple layers of spectacles then the vet is more likely to have something capable of softening them to try removal and if you've accidently damaged his eyes then the vet is really the only one who can help.

I hope he turns out to be ok dude
    keep us posted,

**begin edit**
    By eck you people type fast.
    **end edit**

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

The caps did not come completly off... just small bits were left, and I didn't want to try to get them and damage his eyes. The eyes had the "star" look and no matter how much water I put on them, and how humid I kept it he couldn't get them off himself. He tried... I saw him rubbing his eyes against stuff numerous times. I was a little concerned about bacteria bulding up under the caps, that's why I pulled them off. He has not shown any other signs of shedding at this time. That's why I am concerned about his condition. If it were minor hazing, I wouldn't be concerened, but this is thick, and now seems to be fairly hard.

I live over an hour from a herp vet. That's why I haven't taken him yet, but I will be taking him as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks

Can you take a picture of his eye?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here is what my vet did and recemended. Might take two people to do one on each end of the snake to help restraine and keep it safe. Take a q-tip soak it in contact salution (nothing medicated just pain ole sterial saline) then drop a drop on the eye cap let it soak in. slowy roll the q-tip with NO pressure on the eye. Start at the nose side of the eye and roll down toward the body. So the q-tip rotates forward with it is being moved backwards. This might take some time but it works. Keep the eye and q-tip moist with contact salution and keep working till it comes off. If it doesn't come off then just leave it alone and watch it on the next shed.

I really should make a video of this to put on here.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"