Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

1 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Rescued 2 ball pythons

Ok so I get a call and this guy as been in jail for at least 90 days and has these two BP's that need a home. I have never owned a snake before and really have never handled them either but I couldn't leave them. So I went and picked them up. They are both in a 55 gallon tank with sand, one hide, and a peice of driftwood to climb on. The tank was gross. The women who had them said the tank hadn't been cleaned in about 2 years and they haven't eaten for at least 4 months. Well I stopped at the pet store and picked up 2 f/t mice and one f/t rat. As soon as I got them home I place each of them in seperate boxes and gave the smaller one a mouse and the bigger one the rat. They ate it right away. I need some help in helping me set them up cages of their own. I am a single mom on a very tight budget but I want to do what is best for them. I have placed a light on the cage and a heating pad underneath it. I also cleaned the cage out and it was so nasty. It was full and I mean full of feces and skin. I need some help understanding how the humidity works as well as how much room they need. The larger one is 4 ft long and about as big around as a coke can and the other one is just as long but not as thick. Any advice will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Re: Rescued 2 ball pythons

Here's a caresheet link!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=59

There's a lot of people here with amazing knowledge incase you need further answers.

Thanks

Id suggest going tubs they are cheaper to get all set up. And newspaper, paper towels, aspen all good bedding. I use aspen I get a bag at walmart for under 3 dollars and it is compacted so you get alot. There are many sticky's with tub set ups that will help guide ya thru. Congrats on your new snakes and cheers for having a heart and giving them a new home.
    Sin~

Thanks

Thats awesome that you gave them a new home.

You will probably want to take them to the vet just to be checked on to make sure, and keep a close eye out for mites.

Good luck, and congrats on your first BPs!
    "Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

- Alyssa

Thanks

Thanks everyone and yes we are going to the Vet on Saturday. Also does anyone know a good online store or pet store that is reasonable on supplies?

Thanks

ReptileSupply.com
    See if you find anything in here other wise try going through old threads Im sure there's many others.
    Sin~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cschimizzi
    Thanks everyone and yes we are going to the Vet on Saturday. Also does anyone know a good online store or pet store that is reasonable on supplies?
    Walmart!!!!

Get two Sterilite tubs (about $10 each)
    Go to the hardware department and pick up two Acurite indoor/outdoor thermometers ($12 each)
    Get one solder wand (about$10)
    Head to the pet department and get one or two small kitty litter pans per snake (about $3 each)
    Pick up two large crocks for water (I don't remember how much they are)
    Pick up a large bag of apen (stay away from pine or cedar) - or just use newspaper.

Go to http://www.reptilebasics.com and order 2 1 foot sections of 11" flexwatt and the connectors to wire them and put a note in your order that you would like him to pre-wire them for you (free). Get one Ranco or Johnson's thermostat (as long as the two tubs are identical).

Solder holes about 1/2 inch around the top edge of the tubs. Solder entrances into the kitty litter pans. If the tub you choose is large enough for two kitty litter pans, put one at each end.

Here's what I kept my adult female in:

You can see that this hide was large enough that she could choose the cool or warm side of the hide:

I used a Sterilite 1986 model that's 41 quarts, but if Frankykeno joins, perhaps she can post pictures of the larger and longer model that she uses.

Now, while we don't advocate housing together, keeping them together a few more days until you can get the new homes set up shouldn't hurt them. You want to make sure that you get the temps and humidity correct before introducing them to their new homes.

This just touches on the basics - if you have more questions - please ask!

Oh, and don't be surprised if you find yourself becoming incredibly attached to these two - they're awfully addicting, even if they are "accidental" pets!

Thanks

Im so glad Raber joined in this one. She is by far (in my eyes) the tub expert!
    I went to tubs after seeing all hers and Ive never been happier.
    And really a nice way to save you from pulling your hair out trying to get perfect temps and perfect humidity.
    I owe her a huge thanks! So Thanks again Raber! I dub you the tub queen!
    Sin~

Thanks

Thank you so much!!! you just saved me a ton of money! Thanks again and I will post some pics of them when I get them. They have been asleep basically since they ate. Is that normal?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cschimizzi
    Thank you so much!!! you just saved me a ton of money! Thanks again and I will post some pics of them when I get them. They have been asleep basically since they ate. Is that normal?
    You are welcome - and yes - perfectly normal!

Remember to ask any questions that you might have as you're getting your tubs set up (if that's the way you choose to go!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast