Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 603

1 members and 602 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Dumbo's-Blue's-Hairless--Questions about these.

So Wolfy has gotten me all happy about these Dumbo's and Blue's Petsmart near her has, I am going to check out ours tomorrow but I thought last time I was there they only sold Blue females and hey had none left.
    My question is, what would make the best breeding trio? Could I use a hairless male and breed him to the Blue and Dumbo? I thought I had read some where about health concerns in hairless rats...thanks everyone.

~Audrey
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dumbo's-Blue's-Hairless--Questions about these.

After my hairless female only had 3 in her first that survived and 1 that survived the next litter I would never breed them again. Just a dumbo female or 2 and a hairless male would likely be ok
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i know from a long time ago group on yahoo regarding ratties that hairless do have some health issues... but alas i cannot remember any of them right now sorry... i'm no help at all.

there was a little hairless rattie in the group when we picked up whisper this weekend... i passed on her because of this memory... but again... no details as to what it is.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

It's because hairless females don't lactate normally, or don't lactate at all. Therefore the babies(if they survive and aren't killed off by mom) will be small and thin. I believe they also have a much bigger chance of miscarriage and internal hemorrhaging(uncontrollable bleeding). It's just in the rat's best interest not to ever breed them. There are really no positive outcomes for the mom or the babies.

I had a female hairless get bred on accident, she had 8 healthy babies, but only 2 survived. They barely survived on what she could produce for them milk-wise, but when they started eating on their own they grew much better. I still have one of the babies(she's around a year old now, named Emily) and she's doing fine(has a mammary tumor) but is fine

Having a hairless male as a breeder would be fine, and the resulting babies would carry hairless. You could safely breed them back to their dad or another hairless male, and get some nekkids. I love hairless beebs, so sweet. Like a living hot water bottle.

I would advise that if you do get a hairless male for a breeder, to either get him a normal haired friend or keep back one of his sons as a permanent buddy. He needs someone who has normal fur to keep him warm. Hairless have a much faster metabolism to keep themselves warmer than normal rats. Mine have no problems maintaining their weight on my mix and lab blocks.

Hope that helps!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I do have to chime in, that my hairless females have thrown litters of 8-9 babies every litter, all survived nicely.
    Both moms produced plenty of milk, and mothered them really well. I keep them in draft free conditions and they've done fine. Right now all of them are in with normals, and if I have one that doesn't seem to gain weight well, then I put her/him by themselves to feed them up to catch up, then they do fine.
    I understand they probaly don't do as well for most people, but I've not had problems EXCPET in the case of ONE hairless female that I purchased form PEtsmart and she had that disease that gives them the big belly and died.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Well since Mr. No Hair needs a buddy, I could just keep 2 female haired rats for breeding and 1 male hairless and 1 male haired for breeding to yes? Or should it always be the 2 females per male deal?

Qiksilver "

Thanks

Yep, that would work out just fine!
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Yep, that would work out just fine!
    Yippy! I think I might actually get it..lol.
    My hubby is not going to be happy about this rat...I did figure the only way I would get another hairless rat would be to "use him for breeding" and I will also use him for cuddling and kissing.....I loved our 2 sooo much, those were by far my favorite pet...I say this while I have 6 snakes peeking out of the rack behind me.....
    So can you explain to me more about this 2 to 1 ratio I've hear about.
    I also have a ton more questions for ya, but I'll go slow so I dont burn you out lol.

Qiksilver "

Thanks

You can have 1.4 or 1.5, but that's just for people who have alot of snakes, don't know if you'd want THAT many babies. I usually keep 1.3-1.4 mice together permanently(unless one female doesn't want to cooperate), because if you separate them, they don't do well being reintroed.

But with the rats, IMO, do it like Jo and some others do; separate the female when she starts to show and let her raise her babies in solitude. Less baby stealing, less baby injuries, less stressed mommas, etc. I would ask Jo(Frankykeno) or some others who breed rats, as they would know better than I. I just have 25 of them as pets and occasionally loan a male or female out for breeding(my Harley male, for instance).

Hope that helps some.
    --Becky--

Thanks

Well thank you!

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what I would need (as far as housing) for these 4 rats I want to get, I have 6 snakes...would this amount of rats be good for them?
    So I could have one home for the females, one for the males, and then 1 extra home for the preggo and nursing moms? I figured if I have 2 pregnant females I can just leave one in the original home to raise her babies and put the other in the other home.
    That I think is my issue, I'm trying to figure out how many I need for my small amount of snakes, and then there's the figuring out the timing of it all to keep up with the supply and demand.
    How long do you let the rats rest between pregnancy's? I would hate to breed them back to back....although fun for males...not fun for females. lol.
    Any who thanks for you help.

~Audrey

Qiksilver "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast