Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

2 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "Handleable" Tarantulas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    I bought a sub adult male and an adult female because I couldn't find a sling (not that I have any plans to breed them what so ever!). Do you know of any place online I could order myself a sling rosie and a sling that is blue (I want to say Blue Cobalt).

kyle, there are lots of blue tarantulas. some avics are blue a. versi for instance the cobalt blues are NOT friendly... and you almost never ever ever see them. you really have a pet hole when you have one of those and a nasty pet hole to boot!

as a first t (this is to the thread creator) - i highly recommend a GBB - very beautiful, will get you good and addicted

i don't agree personally with holding Tarantulas much like i don't agree with housing snakes together. it's a potential accident waiting to happen. i've heard too many stories about Ts jumping and splitting themselves open.... or bolting and then your knee goes down and "crunch". so i keep mine in a clear container so i can enjoy them alive and well in their ecosystem of choice. if we need to remove them, we do so in the tub with a blanket in the bottom and we carefully move them to their new enclosure.

brachys is a species i don't recommend for holding as they are major hair kickers and once you've been hit with those hairs once, you won't want to again. very itchy... and if you got it in the face... that wouldn't be much fun.

some people do hold their Ts... and of course it's their choice, just as some people house multiple snakes together... it's just not my recommendation is all.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, Aleesha.

My view on holding T's is comparable to the way I go about handling which snake I keep. I think that every individual can be different. My rosehair was completely docile, but then again, I can undoubtfully say that I was good at handling it also. I treat all my animals with respect and handle them accordingly. I could pick up my rosehair, turn it over, and feel its soft belly with little to no movement from it. I had a couple other T's of different species that were too skittish for me to handle comfortably, so I never did.

I am hoping to be able to find a T for my boyfriend that is docile enough for him to hold, but I know a lot of it is going to depend on him and if he has or can learn that good sense of handling an animal.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    I think that every individual can be different.
    i totally agree with you. when i was a lot younger LOL - about 18 - there was a guy who had a T and would bring it out at parties. he'd walk around with it on his shoulder... it went all over the place with him... and never jumped off...

in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

did that get him laid? My money is on.... yes.

!!

Thanks

Ho-kay....
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

I have only had one kind of T and I would most recomend it. Hard to find though. Unless your in Arizona and its summer. I have yet to find any for sale but I really didnt look all that much. I do not know the true name of this kind. It stays small roughly 4 to 6 inches (legspan) is not known to kick it's hairs, and is calm.

I only know it by the common AZ names of Arizona Blonde, Mexican Blonde, and American Blonde hair.

Mine was a female and I always had her out and that is with my extream fear of spiders.

Thanks

I only know it by the common AZ names of Arizona Blonde, Mexican Blonde, and American Blonde hair.
    Aphonopelma chalcodes
    They are not extreamly easy to find in the hobby, but are available, more so in the warmer months though and generaly in liminted number.

I have to agree with Aleesha on the handling issue. I too think it is a matter of personal choice, however, I also think that every keeper should use a bit of common sense when it comes to keeping tarantulas. They are *not* kittins or puppies. They *are* fragile and can be injured and/or killed *very* easily. In addition, they are prone to stress more so than most reptiles. Every time a tarantula is removed from it's home and "played with" it stresses the spider out. Did y'all know that tarantulas *can* die from a heart attack? Yes, they can and *over handling* is one way to cause such a demise. It is not a matter of being "good at handling" tarantulas, it is a matter of *the tarantula is good at tollerating being handled*.

On the *other* hand....I also take the stand that *every* keeper who intends to keep tarantulas for any length of time *should* know the proper and safest ways to pick up and hold *any* tarantula. Why? Because, if you are in this hobby long enough, the occasion WILL arise where handling a tarantula will make its self necessary.
    For example, if you have an adult H. lividum or Poeclithera sp. that has a severe case of mites or a bit of mold on it....how are you going to get it off so it doesn't end up killing the spider? You *need* to know the methods of handling, securing and working with tarantulas, no matter what species they are, docile or not.

Thanks

i had a giganto bird eating tarantula who loved being held he was the size of a normal dinner plate by the time i got rid of him and eating small finches for breakfast a mouse for lunch and a baby chick for dinner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    i had a giganto bird eating tarantula who loved being held he was the size of a normal dinner plate by the time i got rid of him and eating small finches for breakfast a mouse for lunch and a baby chick for dinner
    Why is it that I am not very inclined to believe this?
    Hmm, perhaps the name "giganto" has something to do with it and perhaps the menu.

Seeing as how tarantulas are not fed 3 times a day and *no* tarantula, even my 10" Theraphosa blondi (she's pretty "giganto" ) would not eat that much in one day, must less every day.

Thanks

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

sorry its goliath his name was giganto

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast