Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,449

1 members and 3,448 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: "Handleable" Tarantulas?

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    Brazilian Black.

Mexican Red Knee.

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/tarantulas.html
    I left out brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee) because adults are hard (and expensive) to come by. I don't own one, but by most accounts, they are docile and handleable. Good call.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

Thanks

I have two Chaco Golden Knees(Grammostola aureostriata), one is around 2" and the other is around 1/2". Too cute for words and very nice to handle(the bigger one). I am REALLY wanting a Brazilian Black, and should hopefully have a female or a sling pretty soon(come on Austin Show!). They are just gorgeous and sweet as can be.

A friend of mine just got a Pinktoe(which type of Pinktoe, I don't remember). But this T is so calm, you don't even have to make her get on you. Just pick her up and be done with it. She could care less. I also have 4 Texas sp. T's that I got in Austin from Zookeeper, a pet store there(I love freebies). One is from Lancaster county, I think and the other 3 are from another county. They are supposed to be pretty docile when grown.

Also found an albopilosum sling, but it's still around 1/4", TINEENSY little thing. Eats like a pig though and will take down crickets about twice its size. I hope it grows up to be a nice looking T.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Another vote for Mexican Red Knee - as long as you dont spook her mine is an absolute dream to handle. For total docility I'd have to say the white collars though, it would actually let you roll it onto its back with your thumb, but they are quite small. Oh and the zebra was also quite placid if a little nervous at first.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del
    Hi,

Another vote for Mexican Red Knee - as long as you dont spook her mine is an absolute dream to handle. For total docility I'd have to say the white collars though, it would actually let you roll it onto its back with your thumb, but they are quite small. Oh and the zebra was also quite placid if a little nervous at first.

dr del
    I am not familiar with a white collar. What is the scientific name?

Thanks

yeah i have my G.aureostriata and she's definitely a good beginner species.also try some of the brachypelma species,they are docile and colorful.the Grammastola species are also good beginners.and the Avicularia species are also good species.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

I just picked up a m and f Rose Hair! They are so docile IMO it's crazy!
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    I just picked up a m and f Rose Hair! They are so docile IMO it's crazy!
    Mine is just a sling about the size of a thumbnail. I have heard stories about psycho rosies, though I think they are pretty few and far between.

Thanks

yeah i have a psycho rosie not a way in hell would i handle him. i would handle my haplopelma sp vietnam, before i would handle this rosie. but you cant win'em all and he is a awsome T to watch eat let me tell you. and yeah avics are incredibly fast but very handleable, you must take your time and read your spider. know what it is doing and how it will react in certain situations

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Whitecollared were reffered to as Eupalaestrus Weijenberghi on the lists I originally bought her from - had to go dig in the cupboard to find it . This information is waay old though so check the scientific name hasn't changed.

The care sheet I got at the time say's they reach 4" legspan as adults but I have to say mine never seemed to get much above 3" - they also apparently change colour with their maturing molt, but again I didnt see that, - anyone else here thinking I sold her a little too early?

I've been quite lucky with how easy my T's have been to handle over the years but the best recomendation I can give is try and go for a docile species and if you are buying from a shop and it's well grown on try handling it before you buy.

theres a pic here;

http://giantspiders.com/E_weijenberghi.html

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Another good one is a B. emilia, although right now my two best handlers are my chaco juvie and my adult male rosehair. Pink Zebra beauty is also a good handler, mine is docile and lets me know when she does not want to be picked up, she slaps my hand with her front legs.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast