Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

7 members and 3,122 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I need some help!

I just got an adult ball and he seems to be 400 grams under weight for his size. He also has a pink belly. Theres no blisters but during the day his belly will liten up and get darker. He is not eatting for me. The female I bought along with him is perfect weight and doesnt seem to be anything wroung with her. Also the male seems to have had a broken spine at some point. If anyone has any ideas about his belly it would be much help to me.

Thanks, T.J.

Thanks

Re: I need some help!

Welcome to the forum!

I've never heard of a Ball belly changing colors during the day, but perhaps some of the more experienced Ball keepers can chime in.

When you said "400 grams underweight", I'm wondering what you used for a reference? How long is he, and how much does he weigh?

As far as not eating, how long have you had him? How old is his spinal injury? Are you keeping him with the female? Could you describe his setup? What was he eating with the previous owner, and what are you offering him now?

Thanks

I compared hime to my other male that is the same size. I've only had him for about 5 days now. I dont know how old his spine injury is, but it doesnt seem to bother him at all. He still gets around fine and has a tight grip when he raps around my hand. I tired taking him away from the female and put him in an a differnt tank of mine but he went nuts so i put him back with the female. They were feeding him a small rat every 2 weeks, he's big enough to eat a Med to large. They also had him in a 20 gallon tank with the female. He is now in a 55 gallon.

Thanks

Take him AWAY from the female, even if he "goes nuts". He'll forgot about her.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Great, thanks for the extra info.

First off, I would have to recommend that you separate them and give him his own cage. Snakes are solitary creatures that do not "bond" with other snakes, and by housing them together you can create a host of issues like not eating and stress related illnesses.

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating after five days. Balls need a period of adjustment when they are relocated into a new environment. Leave him alone for a week without handling him in his own cage, and then try feeding him again. If he has the proper environment, temps, and places to hide he will feel comfortable and start eating for you.

Finally, you shouldn't compare the size of your new snake to your existing male. They come in all sorts of sizes and shapes just like people. However, he still may be on the thin side but you can determine that by looking at his shape. If you can post a pic we might be able to tell you if he looks a little thin.

Thanks

The only time I have been handling him is to check on him. Other then that I have been leaving him alone. I'll have some pic of him up soon so you can see. Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks

Heres some pics of him....

Thanks

could be going into shed perhaps? have you seen its eyes go a bluish/gray color yet?

Thanks

Thats what I thought at first and started to watch for his eyes to turn but they never have.

Thanks

Hmm... he does look a little skinny. His spine isn't showing, but that flap of skin make me think he could use a few rats. Nate might be right about the shedding. You've only had him for five days, so I would give him a week to see if he's going to shed and if not, to try and feed him again.

In the mean time, I would suggest you find a local herp vet to give him a proper checkup. Although there are a lot of experienced people on this forum, we're not a substitute for a hands on evalution from a professional.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast