Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

0 members and 3,131 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Still not eating...losing weight

My bp is still not eating. It's been about 7 weeks now and she lost a few grams since the last weigh in about a week ago. I'm at a loss now. Any help is appreciated. I was thinking of trying to feed live as a last resort. Any other ideas? She's still quite young, as I got her in May and they said she was about a month old then.

Before this she was eating weekly unless she was in shed. She was on mice then I switched her to rats. The only change I made before she went off feed was I made her a new cave, as she outgrew her old one. Now I've given her old one back, as she fits into it again.

TIA for any help.

Thanks

Re: Still not eating...losing weight

Quote Originally Posted by jenaero
    My bp is still not eating. It's been about 7 weeks now and she lost a few grams since the last weigh in about a week ago. I'm at a loss now. Any help is appreciated. I was thinking of trying to feed live as a last resort. Any other ideas? She's still quite young, as I got her in May and they said she was about a month old then.

Before this she was eating weekly unless she was in shed. She was on mice then I switched her to rats. The only change I made before she went off feed was I made her a new cave, as she outgrew her old one. Now I've given her old one back, as she fits into it again.

TIA for any help.
    Are you feeding it a prey item as large as the biggest part of the snake? Try feeding smaller, sometimes snakes can become intimidated by larger prey. Do you currently feed p/k, f/t or what? Feeding live is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. What are your temps like?
    lots of snakes

Thanks

When she was eating I'd feed the size of her girth. Now that she's gotten thinner, I've switched to mice that are a little smaller. I switched to mice because they're cheaper and I got sick of throwing out rats at $6 a piece. I feed f/t and have since I got her. Warm side is 90-92 cool side is about 80.

Thanks

about how old is she? it could be she is ready to breed and just went off for a bit trying to mate? but definitly let us know a lil more info as far as temps and such.
    4.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Raphael, Spot, Oscar, Strykr, Honey (aka A.O.L.), Jasmine, Precious
    1.0 Grazi Line Pastel Ball Python - Chance
    1.0 possible het carmel albino - Cpt. (One Eyed) Jack (genitcally missing right eye, very ify het status)
    0.12 Normal ball pythons in transaction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

99% of the time when an otherwise healthy ball python is refusing to eat the problem is a husbandry issue ... Temps, security, lighting, etc ... this is especially true for balls less than a year of age.

1. Temps should be 82-84 on one side, 92-94 on the other and measured with a good digital thermometer.

2. The snake should have plenty of small tight hides that it can retreat to and feel it's body touched on all sides.

3. Humidity should be 50% - 60% measured with a good digital hygrometer.

4. Handling should be kept to an absolute minimum until a solid pattern of eating is established.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

EDIT: Yo ucan disregard this... i didn't know it has eaten f/t before

2 words lol "Feed Live." Sound like your bp is starving itself... I have heard that some bps never make the trans. to f/t. You might have to feel live if you want your bp to put back on the weight and continue to thrive!
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Just to add to Adam's excellent post.....she was eating mice, then you switched to rats, now you are back to mice? Have you also been switching feed methods and weekly feeding routines on this snake? Sounds like you also have been messing about with her housing taking hides out and changing them up and so forth. Quite honestly I'm not surprised the snake is refusing. All this has got to be causing incredible amounts of stress for your snake and stressed snakes generally do not eat.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Any tips for live feeding? What if she still doesn't take it? What size should I get?

I'm about to lose my mind here. I know that going off feed is normal for balls but it's not normal for me and it doesn't suit her personality because she was such a good eater before this.

She does have a good tight hide now. I'll work on bumping up the temps too. Humidity is also good. She just had a nice clean shed last week. I haven't handled her in about a month besides to take her out to clean and such.

Thanks

One hide or two? Please fully describe your snake's housing (pics are nice!), the snake involved (age, weight, etc.), how long you've had it, it's feeding history (type and size of prey and method of feeding) before and since you've owned it, if this is a breeder purchase or pet store purchased snake, etc. Without knowing full details it's difficult for the members to give specific information appropriate to your situation.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jenaero
    I know that going off feed is normal for balls
    Actually, it's not normal at all for such a young animal ... you have a husbandry problem.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast