Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,257

2 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Raw Skin on Back

My daughter's Ball Python developed a line of raw skin along its back, starting about three inches behind its head and travelling for about seven inches. The wound is not bleeding but I can see raw flesh where some of the scales are missing. There are a few red patches. My intuition tells me that Uday rubbed it raw against some portion of his cage. I just hope it is not some rot or disease that is more serious. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms or problems. He did eat three mice about five days ago and regurgitated a good portion of them today. It seemed to be mostly hair. I have applied Neosporin to the wound to promote healing and prevent infection. I have also replaced all the metal screening with softer fiberglass screening to prevent more damage. Does anyone have anything to offer in the way of diagnosis or treatment?

Thanks

Re: Raw Skin on Back

well with the wound and the regurg i would highly recomend getting your snake to the vet asap.
    4.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Raphael, Spot, Oscar, Strykr, Honey (aka A.O.L.), Jasmine, Precious
    1.0 Grazi Line Pastel Ball Python - Chance
    1.0 possible het carmel albino - Cpt. (One Eyed) Jack (genitcally missing right eye, very ify het status)
    0.12 Normal ball pythons in transaction

Thanks

Definitely a vet trip is in order. Between a wound and a regurge that's likely your safest and best route. Can you in the meantime describe your enclosure, husbandry routine and a bit about the snake (age, when you got it, etc.)
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paulzy
    My daughter's Ball Python developed a line of raw skin along its back, starting about three inches behind its head and travelling for about seven inches. The wound is not bleeding but I can see raw flesh where some of the scales are missing. There are a few red patches. My intuition tells me that Uday rubbed it raw against some portion of his cage. I just hope it is not some rot or disease that is more serious. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms or problems. He did eat three mice about five days ago and regurgitated a good portion of them today. It seemed to be mostly hair. I have applied Neosporin to the wound to promote healing and prevent infection. I have also replaced all the metal screening with softer fiberglass screening to prevent more damage. Does anyone have anything to offer in the way of diagnosis or treatment?
    Is his regurging his meals common for him? Does he always eat 3 mice at a time for his weekly meal?If so and your temps and your husbandry are all correct my advice is simple,take him to a reptile vet ASAP.Regurging is not a normal thing and could be caused by several things.Now the wound on his back is possibly easy to figure out.Is there something in his enclosure that has any sharp edges? Snakes do not rub there skin raw to the flesh unless they have something that causes this to happen.Could you give a some info on this snakes history since he has been with you and his enclosure description? How long have you had him? Is he a baby or adult? What are the temps in his enclosure? Maybe once we know a little more about him we might be able to help you with him.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Thanks for responding so quickly. I just spoke with my daughter, she says she saw Uday rubbing himself raw on the metal screen of his enclosure. He is about four years old, and to my knowledge, hasn't done that for a long time. His enclosure is large (2 x 2 x 4), mostly glass with some screening (fiberglass now that I have changed it). I have artificial turf as a substrate. He has a large plastic bowl for water and soaking, a plastic hide, and a large branch (mostly for decoration as he doesn't like to climb that much as I have heard most BPs don't). He has a heating pad under his hide, and a UV lamp at the other end of the enclosure. We usually give him two large mice each week, but gave him three at the suggestion of the pet store snake person. This is the first time I have ever seen him regurgitate. I will get him into the vet if necessary, I just don't want to make an unnecessary trip (money, time, exposing him to other animals, you know).

Thanks

well you could try to offer him a larger meal, smal/medium rats depending on size and if he will take them, but the vet visit i would still highly recomend just to be safe.
    4.3 Normal Ball Pythons - Raphael, Spot, Oscar, Strykr, Honey (aka A.O.L.), Jasmine, Precious
    1.0 possible het carmel albino - Cpt. (One Eyed) Jack (genitcally missing right eye, very ify het status)

Thanks

One hide or two? As far as this screening are you talking about on the lid of this enclosure? If he doesn't climb how is he reaching up to rub or what exactly does he do in order to rub his back raw like that? Are you sure it's a rub and not a burn from exposure to an overhead heat source like that lamp you mentioned? What do you use to measure temps and humidity in his enclosure? After a regurge you need to be careful and follow a special feeding protocol or you're likely to just cause another regurge and get into a really bad cycle that way.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcaustralia
    well you could try to offer him a larger meal, smal/medium rats depending on size and if he will take them, but the vet visit i would still highly recomend just to be safe.
    Just wondering where you are getting this advice from? The last thing anyone should do after a regurge is offer a larger meal!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

hi my snake seems to have the same thinh urs does ..but down by its tail have you ever helped him shed by rubbing him

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Just wondering where you are getting this advice from? The last thing anyone should do after a regurge is offer a larger meal!
    no i was not saying offering him food now, in his one of his post he stated that a pet store employee suggested feeding him more mice at one time, and him saying his snake was 4 years old. i just suggested to try a single larger food item vs multiple smaller ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast