Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

0 members and 2,831 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,586
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Thread: Probe placement

Thanks

Probe placement

Apologies, because I think I've seen this subject addressed way-back, but haven't been able to find it. So, here goes:

Here's the setup: 20 gallon, hide each side, water dish in middle, UTH on each side under each hide, CHE on top, coconut fiber substrate, screen top covered about three-quarters with foil as per sticky, space heater in room, Repti-Therm t-stat controlling cool side UTH, Spyder proportional for hot side UTH.

It's the usual problem: Turn on the CHE and the humidity gets sucked out despite the foil. With no CHE, can't get past 87-88 on hot side--UNLESS I put the probe under the hide, in which case temps and humidity are perfect (I'm talking 92 on hot side). I should add that the hide (an Exo-Terra fake rock) covers the UTH almost completely. So, the choice is the probe under the hide, which leaves the outside below optimum heat, or probe right up against exterior of hide so it's still over UTH but not under hide, or use the CHE and mist five times a day and still not keep up with humidity.

Roundabout way to my question: Is it OK to measure hot side temp from inside of hide so I can ditch the CHE?

Thanks

Re: Probe placement

I believe I read that you are supposed to measure hot side temps in the hide, but I think it should also be ~90ish outside the hide.
    myspace.com/unknownpalace