Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Another newbie...

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading the posts on temperature/humidity and finding all posts very helpful. What would really help is a "grocery list" of items for someone about to aquire a ball! LOL. I will be using an aquarium (30 gallon) and a screen lid. And I don't fully understand all the differences in bulbs(night bulbs??) I will also have a underground heater - best brand? Don't ask for much do I??
    Holly

Thanks

Re: Another newbie...

Actually a "grocery list" is a pretty neat idea! I remember ages ago we did one for a newcomer in a thread but we didn't sticky it darn it all LOL.

Your basics are how to heat the tank, how to measure temps and humidity, substrate choice, two hides, water dish, very secure lid (snakes=escape artists), reliable food source and of course, the snake LOL. In those decisions are a myriad of choices so let's narrow it down a bit here.

Do you have your snake picked out yet? Are you thinking of getting an 06 hatchling, a yearling or a fully mature BP? That is the first thing because the snake's size determines what housing is best for it. BP's are very shy snakes that get stressed by large open glass tanks especially if they are tiny little baby snakes in big tanks. Sometimes it's best to start them in a small plastic tub and move up to the more decorative enclosure you might wish for a more permanent home for the snake down the road.

As far as bulbs (which any pet store will try to foist off on you), snakes don't need special lighting and in fact overhead heating bulbs will suck the humidity out of your enclosure which just makes life more difficult for you and unpleasant for the snake. Underbelly (undertank) heating is best for BP's.

Welcome to BPNet Holly!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Welcome aboard Holly . Check out the care sheetsfor everything yoe need. Also a great group here to help. Mine is in a tank with aspen bedding , 2 hides for warm and cool end, with under tank heater [uth] at one end , not sure of brand name,and a shallow water dish at cooler end. If you are using a screen lid make sure it can lock.

We hope to see pics of new kid.

Thanks

Welcome to the site!

Also, think about a thermostat for your under tank heater. Those can get really hot if you just plug them into the wall. The thermostat will dail back power or continously turn it on and off to maintain your temp. Get a good thermometer to measure temps, get one with a probe you can put down at "belly level" so you know what temp the snake is actually feeling on its belly.
    Chad
    0.3 BP Normals
    1.0 BP 66% Het for Albino
    0.1 BP 100% Het for Albino
    Snake Feeding Video

Thanks

Mine is in a tub with newspaper as bedding and an ashtray as a water bowl.The hides are 2 butter containers one on the warm side and one on the cool side.

Forgot to mention, welcome to site.
    -Ross
    GO CHIEFS!

I love this guy-----

Thanks

Thanks! I will be getting an '06 cb baby next weekend. So if I don't need a bulb, how do I achieve the warm/cool sides? The room s/he will be in is fairly warm - around 75 degrees but that may be too cool. So I'll start looking at thermostats and probes (these will attach to the underbelly heater?) What brand/type of underbelly heater do you recommend?

Thanks

I would use flexwatt heat tape or a reptile heat pad BUT no matter what you use, you have to have a lamp dimmer or a thermostat so the heat tape or heat pad doesn't go out of control and burn the snake.
    -Ross
    GO CHIEFS!

I love this guy-----

Thanks

If possible, you might want to delay your BP's homecoming until you have the enclosure set up with proper temps and humidity, That's entirely doable by the weekend if you start now. Which is to say, get the tank, an undertank heater, screen lid, Acurite thermometer/hygrometer, thermostat (proportional is best at $100 or so, but a simple on/off for $25 or so is acceptable), substrate, water dish, two hides and four clips to secure the lid. With all that in hand, you should be able to dial it in within 4-5 days. So, if you go shopping on Monday and get all that, you should be good to go by the weekend. Assuming you have the tank, the rest should set you back about $100 at a pet store, maybe $75 if you purchase online.

But start early. Don't have bring the snake and supplies home at the same time.

Birmingham, AL till i move to grad school
    Thanks

What thermostat brand do you recommend? Or, moreover, what brand do you NOT recommend?

Thanks

I do NOT recommend those 30 dollar ones. The round ones on top.

I can tell you, though, from other people I know, that Johnsons and Rancos really work pretty well.
    www.reptilebasics.com
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast