Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

3 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

how deadly are....

Green vine snakes?
    Ahaetulla nasuta
    and
    Ahaetulla mycterizans

I think they are just awesome but I cant seem to find anything in books about there bites. I got 3 books and all have them in it, one talks about care and handeling but nothing about how deadly they are or if not. and all 3 books are from the late 70s to mid 80s...

EDIT: I did alot of web shearching and couldnt find a thing... any care pages or info was mostly in german and frinch and any english pages just showed photos and natural history.

Thanks

Re: how deadly are....

I think I remember seeing them on the croc hunter. If I remember right, they have a very nasty bite. Don't quote me though.

Thanks

well I saw one in a Blue phase and I about died but no one knew anything about it. this was at a zoo in TX. the "reptile keeper" was off for the rest of the day so i couldnt get any info.

Thanks

You would treat them and any other Rear-fanger like it was a full blown HOT. In general all the non-US native stuff is far more dangerous then the US natives. Most wont kill you....but if you are allergic you are in trouble. Most of the arboreal rear fanged can get the fangs into play far quicker then a terrestrial like a hognose......once they grab an item they want to get it still quick so they dont loose it. Therefore their toxins are a bit stronger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    You would treat them and any other Rear-fanger like it was a full blown HOT. In general all the non-US native stuff is far more dangerous then the US natives. Most wont kill you....but if you are allergic you are in trouble. Most of the arboreal rear fanged can get the fangs into play far quicker then a terrestrial like a hognose......once they grab an item they want to get it still quick so they dont loose it. Therefore their toxins are a bit stronger.
    Great explanation! Most eat birds or lizards so they don't want to lose them, but they have to hold them in their mouths if they are up in the tree, so they wouldn't want them thrashing around, instead just a little sqwirm and then DEATH!!!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

I realize this thread is over a week old, but I just saw it and remembered this thread about Ahaetullla venom on Dr Fry's site that I read when I was looking into getting some a while back. His site is a great place to start looking for any info on venomous species.

-Evan

Thanks

so from what I got off that thread is that people are handeling the snakes for very short amounts of time, and there venom is not deadly, but could make for some rough days ahead with the pain. I was thinking that they had venom simular to a Coral snake and a bite from them SUCKS!!!!

I wanted to know about this snake because I was offered one and the offer still stands right now. I love hots! but I wanted to know what I was getting into befor I took the offer or not. and see if I needed to get antivenom or let my local hospital know befor hand.

I have been bitten, stung, and pinched by just about everything the southwestern US has to offer. But I know nothing of Colubrinae outside the US. Thank you so much for the link to that forum.

Thanks

check your local laws...im pretty sure they are illegal here in CA...dont quote me though.

sorry I dont know any specifics on the species.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessie_k_pythons
    EDIT: I did alot of web shearching and couldnt find a thing... any care pages or info was mostly in german and frinch and any english pages just showed photos and natural history.

if you google them and the pages are in another language... there is a 'translate this page' you can hit and your search page will be translated to english for you
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I could try that as long as it has nothing to download I should be good. Our home server is Windows, if I or any one else downloads something it goes through the server. If said item has spywear or anything like that, (all windows programs and live updates have inbeded spywear.) it could make the whole syseem crash. I HATE WINDOWS!!!

Linux RULES!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast