Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

0 members and 2,805 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She Ate!!!!

Thanks

She Ate!!!!

My last holdout, a female spider that belongs to my son, ate her first unassisted meal tonight!!!! YES!!! I AM PUMPED!!!! Major Score!!!! We've had her for several months, and she has been grossly underweight. The person my son bought her from told him up front that she had never eaten. We have assist fed, tube fed, and force fed this little girl ever since. Tried to minimize it, to minimize stress. She was losing weight, and I decided a few weeks ago that she was GOING to gain weight. At that time, I was tube feeding her. The day she tried to swallow the tube, I switched to assist/force of prekilled fuzzy mice, and bumped up the frequency. The last few feedings have been hoppers. Last week, I spent an hour and a half trying to get a hopper in her. She shed last night. As per my ritual, I weighed her (109 grams), and put a live hopper in her tub. After feeding all the other snakes, I went to pull the hopper, dispatch it, and gently stuff it in her mouth. One problem. No hopper. Nowhere to be found. I weighed Charlotte. 119 GRAMS!!!! OH MY GOSH, SHE ATE IT!!!!

YIPPEEEEE!!!!

(ok, sorry for all this, I'm just incredibly excited!!!)

Steve

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: She Ate!!!!

glad to hear she's eating! i know that sense of relief... i got that every time my corn snake valentino didn't regurge!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoo-t
    My last holdout, a female spider that belongs to my son, ate her first unassisted meal tonight!!!! YES!!! I AM PUMPED!!!! Major Score!!!! We've had her for several months, and she has been grossly underweight. The person my son bought her from told him up front that she had never eaten. We have assist fed, tube fed, and force fed this little girl ever since. Tried to minimize it, to minimize stress. She was losing weight, and I decided a few weeks ago that she was GOING to gain weight. At that time, I was tube feeding her. The day she tried to swallow the tube, I switched to assist/force of prekilled fuzzy mice, and bumped up the frequency. The last few feedings have been hoppers. Last week, I spent an hour and a half trying to get a hopper in her. She shed last night. As per my ritual, I weighed her (109 grams), and put a live hopper in her tub. After feeding all the other snakes, I went to pull the hopper, dispatch it, and gently stuff it in her mouth. One problem. No hopper. Nowhere to be found. I weighed Charlotte. 119 GRAMS!!!! OH MY GOSH, SHE ATE IT!!!!

YIPPEEEEE!!!!

(ok, sorry for all this, I'm just incredibly excited!!!)

Steve
    Steve,thats great to hear .Now you know we all love reading threads about a snakes first meal
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I love it when that happens. You feel so good and total relief. I guess that tells you how important it is to keep your snakes healthy and thriving.

Thanks

Congrats!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Awesome!!
    myspace.com/unknownpalace

Thanks

I'm so happy for you! I love to hear good news. I know how big of a relief it is when your snake eats for you for the first time. My snake went without eating for a whole month when I first got her. I guess in reality that wasn't that long of a wait (compaired to yours), but it seemed really long to me! I expect pictures as soon as possible!
    -Hannah

You might be a herper if the thought of a burglar in your house makes you laugh.

Thanks

I was going to post pics the night that she ate, but it was late, and I would have had to take a current pic. So, here's the before and after -

The first pic was taken on Oct 4, just before she tried to eat the feeding syringe. She weighed a whopping 74 grams.

The second pic was taken tonight, Oct 26, so just 3 weeks later, and the night after taking her first unassisted meal. In this pic, she weighs 119 grams, a gain of 45 grams!

Thanks for the kind comments!
    Steve

Thanks

congrats! lovely spider by the way

i feel a great sigh of relief when all 3 snakes eat
    -Maple

1.1 ball python
    0.1 shepard mix
    1.0 rabbit
    1.0 hamster
    0.0.3 horned frog

Thanks

What a pretty little girl! I hope she keeps eating for you and continues to get stronger! Congrats on sticking with it and doing all you can to get her to chow down for you.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast