Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

3 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User sassygirl221983's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: male hognose refusing to eat

I hope you get him to eat soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
    yeah i asked around to some knowledgable people and they all said that since western hogs do hibernate in the wild you just have to either cool them down for a bit or you can fight it and keep trying to feed until they want to get back on it. october to december is the generally accepted fasting period.
    maybe its because most of our hogs arent that many generations removed from the wild?
    I'm going to try this now I think - my adult female is acting exactly the same way as PJFF's - she's been very jumpy last couple of days - and if I put my hand inside her viv she'll jump back and hiss - she even put her hood up and took up her cobra stance today :eek: . She's normally a very calm, docile snake.

I just hate the thought of brumation in case they don't wake up - but it's natural I guess. Should I just turn off all heating? Our room temp fluctuates between 68-70 overnight but hot end of viv will reach 85-90 during the day (because it's on top of another viv) plus it's a naturally warm room with sunlight anyway.
    Last edited by Razaiel; 11-11-2006 at 10:49 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Talking Re: male hognose refusing to eat

Well I got my small female to eat a few days ago and as I type, my male is eating!!!! Im very happy right now.

Question about brumateing...... when you do it, do you leave them alone as if they were in a burrow in the wild? i guess my main question is, are you able to check on them?

Thanks

Congrats PJ FF!

Not sure about brumating, tho.

Thanks

Mine's still not eating My sav is gonna get fat with all the extra mice!! She just isn't interested at all - she thinks the mouse is there to annoy her when I hold it in front of her - and will hiss and back away from it. I'm going to wait for 3 days now until Sav's next feeding day and offer her a smaller size mouse - she's nice and rounded and not thin so I try and persuade myself not to worry ... but hey! , that's my middle name when it comes to my critters

Thanks

I too have noticed a fall in my hogs appetite she ate last week but the last month before that she didnt want to know, and she has refused today also.
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

As far as I have heard, I would start cooling her. But check on that as I have been having the same problem and am no where near being an expert.

Thanks

Thanks I think I will start doing that - she has now not eaten for 2 weeks and has nice clean bedding as of yesterday so I'll just turn out her basking light and leave her heat mat on. What temp should she have at each end for brumating?

Thanks

mine started eating after i raised the heat 5 degrees and misted the cage every other day. i stick fuzzies in his hid every week now and the next morning they're gone.

Thanks

I was just re-reading this thread earlier today and comforted myself with your previous post about them fasting between October to December (still a way to go yet before panicking). My adult female still isnt eating (5 weeks now ) She's happy enough though, I got her out today to weigh her - she was 375g before she went on her "diet", now she's 365g (though doesn't look like she's lost any - but the extra before could have been poop inside her. She certainly isn't skinny. Well it's monitor feeding day tomorrow so I'll have another go at offering her a small mouse - wonder if she'd like quail ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast