Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

2 members and 3,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: New burm baby

Thanks

New burm baby

Hi I am thinking about getting a baby albino burmese male. I have never had a burmese before. We have hundreds of colubrids, boas, and other pythons the biggest snakes we own are a pair of peruvian redtails. She is 12 ft and he is 9. Very tame. So what should we expect with a burm. I tried reading posts about new burms but it's mostly people getting hashed on for not having any experience so none of my questions have been answered. I'm looking for info on feeding responses on these guys, handling, I don't need any breeding info because he is going to be a single boy (pet), I don't want any negative comments on me wanting a burm. I'm an adult with 15 years of keeping snakes and breeding other snakes (never owned a giant python never held one, never fed one, I've only seen them through their enclosures. So I just need some basic info on them. Is he going to be a good pet with regular handling? I know not to try to care for a big snake alone. I don't need any info on housing I got that covered tubs to 10ft enclosures. Just some basics on how this guy is going to be to deal with. I will be getting him as a baby feeding on frozen thawed rats.

David
    "I promise only one more snake, or two"

Prairieland Reptiles
    David Suess/Jodi Wendt

Thanks

Re: New burm baby

from your experience of 15 years plus and you seeing to know about the care and housing issues with them....id say go for it
    a mate of mine has a 18 year old female which is now aproaching 22ft and she is as gentle as a lamb but she also weighs a ton lol. burms are usally pretty docile and seeing you already know its best to have at least 2 people in the room on clean out day and when handling it i say you seem ready for these beautiful giants
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

Thanks

Here is a caresheet http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=16
    But it looks like you have everything covered. They are a little nippy when young but that is normal for most baby snakes. They are great feeders but remember that they will stay agitated longer than other snakes after feeding so if you have it in a different feeding box be careful when you are going to transfer it to her living enclosure. They also like to huff and puff when you open their living enclosures but once you get them out, they are very calm. What else can I say. You should know the rest. This is all from my personal experience. I hope it helped you out a bit.

Thanks

Unless you're really set on getting a baby and raising it up, I'd check with some reptile rescues and see if you can get a rescuee.

Even then, you might be able to get a fairly young one.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

burms, as with any baby snake can be nippy while young. their feeding response is killer. just know they get big fast, and eat alot. my guy is not even 1.5yrs old and is already 9' eating rabbits and pigs. for the most part burms are gentle giants. since this is your first big snake like this (not really, cuz a 12' boa is fricken huge!), i would really reccomend getting a baby, so that you can grow with it.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Be sure to post pictures when you eventually get one!

Lol, I love your signature, hehe...=)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

You have the experience, the know how, and the space? Then do it! I'd go with the baby too. I don't like to taking others problems off their hands, but I do do it...just only one or two at a time. Rescues are a lot of work and I give props to anyone who does it, but it's really not my bag of chips. I would think (I don't have a whole lot of experience with burms, but my friend has two of them) that you can take the size, temperment, feeding response, and any and all else of a large Boa and double it. Strike range on those guys is remarkable too! Wowza! Heck of a reach they have. Good luck!
    It's All About Boas
    www.jimisnakes.com
    JimiSnakes Facebook Page
    ~Jimi

Thanks

As stated above, some babies can be nippy, but with regular handling they have really great temperments. My female was awesome and not even head shy at all... I could touch her anywhere with no problems, and she was very laid back. They do grow very fast, so make sure you will have the space for it as it grows.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com