Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

1 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: shedding anole!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

shedding anole!

our little anole is shedding. we've never actually watched they shed before... but this guy is defintely getting a new skin! the other anole is offering assistance i think LOL

the little one that's shedding is from trinidad. a woman found it in her suitcase when she got home, brought it to the petstore and one of the employees took it home. when he was here setting up our rock in our salt water tank... he asked if it could live in my viv... cause he figured it would love it here. here's a pic of the viv. the frog viv in on the left and the anole viv is on the right. it has water in the bottom with some firebelly toads and endlers (fish). the endlers reproduce like crazy... and i think the firebelly toads and anoles are eating them but i've never seen them... so i'm not sure. all i know is there are always lots of babies in this water!

in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Re: shedding anole!

and here he is... the day after. doesn't he have the coolest patterning? i've never been able to find him on the internet to identify exactly what type of anole he is... but he sure is cool! (and he obviously loves his silkworms as he's having a feed in this pic!)

in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    our little anole is shedding. we've never actually watched they shed before... but this guy is defintely getting a new skin! the other anole is offering assistance i think LOL

the little one that's shedding is from trinidad. a woman found it in her suitcase when she got home, brought it to the petstore and one of the employees took it home. when he was here setting up our rock in our salt water tank... he asked if it could live in my viv... cause he figured it would love it here. here's a pic of the viv. the frog viv in on the left and the anole viv is on the right. it has water in the bottom with some firebelly toads and endlers (fish). the endlers reproduce like crazy... and i think the firebelly toads and anoles are eating them but i've never seen them... so i'm not sure. all i know is there are always lots of babies in this water!

Wow. Bad ass set up! I'm still looking into getting an amphibian set up together one of these years. I'd love to have a lil eco-system of my own.
    Last edited by Vomitore; 10-19-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: I just woke up and my typing skills suck. :D

Thanks

awww he's cute! i like his pattern a lot
    2.2.6 Crested Geckos (Ace, Hot Pocket, Secret Agent Man, Dot, Baby, Yoshi, Velvet, TJ, Brisk, Irwin)
    0.0.1 Bubblegum (snow?) Corn Snake - Penguin
    1.0.0 Ball Python - Sharky
    0.1.0 Flap Neck Chameleon - Sheila
    0.1.0 Jack Russel Terrier - Katie
    1.0.0 Fat Orange Cat - Mr. Fat (aka Oliver)

RIP Steve Irwin

Thanks

mike,

i love the look of the vivs. they really add to our living room... esp with our 210 gallon freshwater community fish tank and our 90 gallon salt in here as well. gives a really... nature theme!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Hmm, Thanks Aleesha! You gave me a few brilliant ideas, I have actually been thinking about retiring my exo terras like that from my cresteds, cause we are slowly in the process of figuring out how we would like to build a HUGE display type unit with multiple housing units for many cresteds.

I kinda was wondering is there was something I could put in a viv like those, but still have an area w/ water for whatever else... fish most likely.... betta? I have always seen anoles in the bottom of the cages in the pet stores, guess I had not realised that they climbed at all..... got better pics so I can really see how you did yours? Does it need a pump/filter, if so, which type? Specifics girl! Specifics!!!! Please please please....
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

mike,

i love the look of the vivs. they really add to our living room... esp with our 210 gallon freshwater community fish tank and our 90 gallon salt in here as well. gives a really... nature theme!
    I love anything to do with water and life living in it. If I had the money, I'd have custom made tanks for saltwater, freshwater and amphibians. I've always wanted to have a pond in my backyard with catfish. Dunno why, but I love catfish.

For your vivs its just so cool how open visually they are and how much they show. Too cool.

Thanks

okay. so the anole viv is set up like this:

we have an underwater pump/filer unit from the local pet store which circulates the water. the bottom has gravel in the bottom and larger rocks as well so the critters which get into the water, can get out again. we also provide mangrove trees and a couple of live bamboo in the water to give the anoles a "run in and get a drink or eat a fish" and get back out again LOL

we have a huge fern in there which has a rock base (from the petstore), a piece of mopani and some of the vines you can buy from the petstore as well. we twisted the small vines and the medium vines together to get a more natural look to them and then just wedged them against the two glass sides to hold them in place.

then we added some more silk plants from the petstore (see a petstore theme here?) and a good light with some heat coming off of it in case they want to do some basking... also to provide light for the mangrove tree and live bamboo.

in the enclosure to the left...

we have moss on the bottom with soil underneath. we pour water on it and keep it nice and moist.

we have some arbutus branches in there for the frogs and a nice deep water dish. some mopani at the back and more silk plants from the petstore. a red light for day and night heat basking and another normal light for 'daytime'.

even though they are near the front window they don't always get a lot of light since their backs have that foam background which comes with the exo-terras... so we choose to provide lighting for them. in the frog viv we have white's tree frogs and green tree frogs. we had them sep at first... but decided to put them together. they've been together for awhile now... and no problems.

in our smaller exoterra containers we house a tarantula in one and in the other is our cresties.

in light, Aleesha