Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

1 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

When do mice/rats go bad?

I am seriously considering purchasing a ball python as a pet. Don't wory, I have done extensive research on balls and have a good deal of knowledge on reptiles in general.

After reading about frozen/thawed rodents as food, a question arose to me. If I place a thawed and warmed rodent into the enclosure and the snake does not feed upon it within about 30 minutes Is it safe to refreeze the rodent and try again later? Or should it be disposed of because of potential bacterial problems?

How many times can a rodent be thawed/unthawed before its unsafe?

I would prefer to use live mice (with supervision of course).Are there Any experienced herpeticulturists that have observed benifits to live verses dead? I have heard that its okay, but not exactly recommended do to possible injury of the snake.

Austin

Thanks

Re: When do mice/rats go bad?

Both F/T and live have their pros and cons. Live rodents can harm your snake, but it's rare if fed to your snake correctly. Also, f/t can be a potential danger if you feed a rodent that hasn't defrosted completely or has "cooked" if heated too warm.

F/T rodents can last over a year if vacuum packed, or a couple of months if stored in a zip-loc bag. They can be left overnight without a problem, but the ones left overnight should be disposed of. If you have a snake that won't eat a f/t rodent, you can refreeze it once. You may be able to freeze it a second time, but I wouldn't recommend it. Each time you freeze the rodent, the freezing process will break down the cells and it will become mushier. After a second time it's pretty mushy and you already risk it breaking open with all of the unpleasantness that can bring, so I can't imagine what would happen if you tried it a second time.

There are a number of F/T vs. Live discussions on this forum... just do a search for "feeding live".

-Lawrence

Thanks

I don't have any experience with live, but I've never tried to reuse a mouse. I have only had one or two instances where the mouse wasn't taken within 30 minutes, and in those cases, I threw out the mouse and waited a week. I would venture to guess you could safely re-freeze the mouse once and try again, but I've never tried it.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Wink Re: When do mice/rats go bad?

I only refreeze the rodent once if its not eaten within a hour.Normally if your snakes are on a schedual you should not have a refusal to eat.If you refreeze more then once you will regret it when you defrost it the next time .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

yeah um guys i feed mine F/T and i feed him in his cage but I use tongs and dangle it in front of his hide and he snatches it up within a minute so wha t are you guys saying you do just drop the "Pre-Heated" mouse in a box with it an he eats it up ?

i just confused on how you feed yours and why at least for you guys it would sit for 30 min or so
    Making the world a better place 1 snake at a time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    yeah um guys i feed mine F/T and i feed him in his cage but I use tongs and dangle it in front of his hide and he snatches it up within a minute so wha t are you guys saying you do just drop the "Pre-Heated" mouse in a box with it an he eats it up ?

i just confused on how you feed yours and why at least for you guys it would sit for 30 min or so
    My het albino ball will not eat if i remained in the area.So i just place the prey item amongst the newspapers and check back later.I feed all my snakes in there enclosures as its easier for me.Now my corn snakes the frozen thawed prey item does not hit the bottom of the enclosure before they are on it:eek: .They are very calm until they smell FOOD .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Loki,

I assume most snake owners do not dangle the rodent infront of their snakes because it could lead to the snake accosiating a hand with food.

Sorry guys if I asked a rather repeated question but I'm still new to this particular board and I'm not familiar with its ins and outs. I'll use the search next time.

Thanks,
    Austin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Smith
    Loki,

I assume most snake owners do not dangle the rodent infront of their snakes because it could lead to the snake accosiating a hand with food.

Sorry guys if I asked a rather repeated question but I'm still new to this particular board and I'm not familiar with its ins and outs. I'll use the search next time.

Thanks,
    Austin
    Hey no problem .Sometimes certain questions need to be updated if you will.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    If you refreeze more then once you will regret it when you defrost it the next time .
    Ain't that the truth...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Smith
    Loki,

Thanks,
    Austin
    Most snakes won't associate the food with a human hand Austin as most keepers know to use hemostats, long tweezers or tongs to actually hold the frozen/thawed or pre-killed rodent with. Feeding direct from the hand leads to SFE's (stupid feeding errors LOL). The dangling is actually more of an attempt to replicate the lifelike movements of a live prey item in order to encourage a feeding strike (you'll see it called the "zombie mouse dance" or the "dead rat boogie" )

We currently feed all live (both mice and rats). When we fed f/t we only refroze prey items that were fully furred. Pinkie size tend to be very mushy if refrozen. Prey items that were refused and removed within 30 minutes were refrozen immediately but marked as a refreeze with the snake's name so it was only offered back to that same snake (to avoid prey sharing between those in quarantine and the regular collection). Anything that was left longer was tossed out.

Whether you choose to feed live, frozen/thawed or pre-killed is up to you and the snake. All feeding methods are appropriate if done correctly. In the end it will be mostly the snake that decides as they tend to imprint on a prey type and a feeding method pretty strongly. Part of your purchasing decisions should be looking for a young healthy snake that has been fed in the method you prefer and with prey (rats or mice) that you can supply it with regularily and of a superior quality.

If you need any help to locate specific threads using our search function, caresheets, etc. please don't hesitate to ask. It sounds like you are trying to get your bases covered before buying the snake and that's always a good thing. There are also some great threads about housing, heating, etc. that will give you some good ideas and likely save you a ton of money (pet stores are notorious for overcharging and selling you things you do not need...they are also not the best source for a good snake).
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast