Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

3 members and 3,383 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Rainy Night Walk

I know many people think the field season in the Northeast is just about wrapped up. Well here in CT it is a light rain, and right off of my back poarch i found a HUGE!! fowler's toad, and a spring peeper. So i descided to walk down the road to where there is a vernal pool/pond (depends on the year) on the side of the road. While walking i found 2 wood frogs, a grey tree frog, 2 large bullfrogs, another couple of peepers, and the best of all....5 metamorph spotted salamanders!!! I have only seen yearling spotteds and adults, but not newly metamorphs. the yearlings always look semi bloated, while these guys tonight looked like the adults that were shrunk in the wash, absolutly perfect. Considering for a 20 minute duration 6 species of amphibians isn't bad. Sorry guys i don't have a digital otherwise i would have posted some pics for you all.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Re: Rainy Night Walk

Right after a good rain is one of my favorite times to go herping. Although it may be difficult in the woods because no noise is created in the leaf litter.......but you can see tons of frogs I also used to spot box turtles alot after a fresh rain.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp