Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,519

3 members and 2,516 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,572
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Can't figure out this problem!!!

So i have a 32qt sterlite tub. I have UTH on just over half of the tub, the thermometer reads about 120 on the plastic and about 95 on the surface of the aspen (thin layer). The cool side is reading 77. The humidity is around 50% (though i will raise it when i put the snake in). So i need to warm up the cold side, while cooling down the hot side. I have a dimmer switch on the UTH. any suggestions from tub veterans?? I would like to move my snake in whenever i get this thing figured out.

Thanks for the help!
    ~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Re: Can't figure out this problem!!!

Well, I am by no means a tub veteran. In fact, I recently switched and had some of the same problems you are having. First off, 120 on the surface of the plastic is wayyy to hot. Chances are the snake will wiggle its way through the substrate and get burned. I believe you want the tub surface to be 92-94 and have a thin layer of substrate(which you said you have). It doesn't matter if the top of the substrate is in the 80s cause the snake will be able to find the heat if it needs to.

Now your cool side is too cool because your room is too cool. My house is ~70 all the time. I had to buy a space heater setup and stick all my snakes in the closet which stays around 80-83 now and works great!
    myspace.com/unknownpalace

Thanks

If you have a Wal mart or Kmart in your area you could get a small space heater for around $20. this will warm up the cool side as well as the warm side so you will have to turn down the dimmer switch to compensate for this extra heat. I was having the same problem since its beginning to get colder where I live.
    ~Jack~
    2.1 bps (Monty, Ceasar, & Honey)
    1.0 colombian red tail boa (Shadow)
    0.1 banded water snake (Homer)
    1.0 leopard gecko (Gex)

Thanks

Couldn't you add another UTH to the cool side? Or would that play tricks with the warm side and humidity?
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

I had the same problem too but only with the cool side. I closed off the AC vent in my room and keep the door closed at all times. it stays a wonderful 85 degrees in the room. (I hate cold)

Thanks

I'd say if possible try to increase the ambient room temp and LOWER that hot side for sure. You could also try and enclose the tub itself so the heat has a chance to build up in and around it which will help cool side from being to cool.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I am def going to turn down the warm side, i knew that fromt he start, but i didn't know how to get the cool side to warm up even when the hot side is that hot. Thanks for the ideas the abient room temperature is 76.4, so what i just did was turn the UTH so it was going length wise as opposed to perpendicular to the length of the tub. The heat pad isn't the whole length of the tub so it should be possible to still get the gradient but we'll have to see.

Thanks for the input everybody

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold