Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,442

1 members and 2,441 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green Corn!!

Thanks

Re: Green Corn!!

Alll New World ratsnakes that I know of that have been successfully hybridized are in the genra Elaphe/Pantherophis, Lampropeltis, and Pituophis. Looking into it a little more I found that all these genera along with the Bogertophis genus and a couple other species have been studied using molecular systematics, and are believed to have evolved from the same branch of Elaphe. I would say the possiblilty of viable offspring between an animal from this group with some eurasian ratsnakes would be much more likely than with a corn and a rough or smooth greensnake. It would all depend on how much genetic drift has occured in the span of time since the gene pools were separated, and if there are any pre or post-zygotic barriers to successful fertilization and development. I'm sure someone will try in the future. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how compatible they really are once some one does.

-Evan

P.S. If anyone wants to read the paper in which the genus name Pantherophis was suggested, (Warning!!!, science content ahead ) here it is.

Thanks

Re: Green Corn!!

I found something interesting while reading. . . apparently the green is a combination of xanthic pigment, and a BLUE pigment. Together, they make the green. I'm not sure what this will mean in regards to the color of hybrid offspring. . . but there are three options. . . yellow, green, and possibly a blue pigment. I think I'm going to try it with elaphe prasina. Of course, this is a long term goal. . . Thanks so much guys for your input. . . keep it coming. I still can't imagine more genetic difference between two members of elaphe than there would be between a king snake or milk snake and a corn snake. I say my odds are pretty decent. I'm not sure how the color genes work in prasina. . . do you think that they are dominant or recessive? It will take LOTS of generations before I ever figure it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12