Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,261

3 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

desert tortoise rescue

Recently my girlfriend and I decided we would like to get a Tortoise. So, the other day I was talking to a co-worker about this and she said that she had a Desert Tortoise that she would like to give to someone because she was no longer able to take good care of him. I started to inquire about him and she told me that he lives in a small aquarium with no lighting or heat and his main diet (or no diet at all) is lettuce. I found some care information online and first off it seems that desert tortoises need to be kept outside preferrably, secondly lettuce provides them with no nutritional value and can be bad for him, and thirdly that they need to be provided with uvb rays or natural sunlight to promote vitamin D. I feel really bad for this tortoise and I would like to adopt him but I live in an apartment and I don't know if he already has any health problems. I'm thinking that at least I could take better care of him and possibly talk to some of the conservation groups (they are considered endangered in the wild) about possibly getting him a good home. I feel bad that I'm sort of undermining my co-worker but she doesn't know how to care for him correctly. In fact I'm thinking of telling her to get rid of all of her animals because when I asked her about her chamellion (what type of enclosure, lighting, humidity, etc.) she said she didn't provide him with any lighting or humidity source and that she had purchased two other chamellions that had both died (I wonder why?). This situation is really sad for me and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. What should I do?

Thanks

Re: desert tortoise rescue

Well she's pretty much offering her tortoise to you so I'd say if you have the money, do some research and take it in. If you find it's too much work, you could always re-home it and he'll be more comfortable and better cared for in the meantime. Ideally they should be kept outside, but they'll do just fine inside with the proper setup.

As for the other animals, there's probably not much you could say/do without ticking her off. You could do some research for her and maybe toss her a few care sheets and let her know you'd be happy to find homes for the others if she wants to get rid of them at some point.

Good luck

Thanks

Make sure you know the regulations about this animal before you agree to take it. Do you know what species it is? Where she got it? It is likely regulated to some degree (if it is a desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii,it is federally regulated) and you may need permits to own it. If it's current owner doesn't know proper husbandry, it is likely that she found it in the wild, took it home because it was cute, and has no idea of the the regulatory status of the species. Contact your state wildlife division if you can't find anything online about it. I hope it gets to a better home soon, but be sure it gets there legally.

-Evan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jamison
    Make sure you know the regulations about this animal before you agree to take it. Do you know what species it is? Where she got it? It is likely regulated to some degree (if it is a desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii,it is federally regulated) and you may need permits to own it. If it's current owner doesn't know proper husbandry, it is likely that she found it in the wild, took it home because it was cute, and has no idea of the the regulatory status of the species. Contact your state wildlife division if you can't find anything online about it. I hope it gets to a better home soon, but be sure it gets there legally.
    -Evan
    That was my concern Evan. I would also say that if you don't have experience with turtles/tortises to pass it onto another more qualified people. I give you credit for being willing to take the animal, just remember since this animal quite possibly is endangered, talking to local officials about rehab then possible re-release into the wild would be the best case scenario. Are you sure it is a gopher?? did she tell you it was one? or have you seen it? since she doesn't know how to care for it you may not be able to take her word for it!

wildlifewarrior
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I appreciate your input and I guess I somewhat jumped to conclusions on whether or not this tortoise is the specific species that is endangered. My girlfriend had inquired further about the Tortoise and the girl had mentioned that she assumed he wasn't "anything special". So I'm going to continue to talk to other tortoise owners and find resources about the care of them and make a decision from there. My girlfriend would really like to have a tortoise and I just don't want to jump in to something I don't know enough about, but I think we are going to take him in, to at least provide him with better care then he has been recieving in the past fifteen years. If it happens to be that this is an endangered species I will contact whomever is able to take him off my hands to help promote and further his kind. If not, I will find out from there if that what I'm doing for him is more then sufficient and that he stays in perfect health whether I'm taking care of him or a person with experience is taking care of him.

Thanks

Good luck! Once you get him home, just post a pix... I PROMISE someone will know what it is, and the proper care for it! I think it will all be just fine! You never know.... This guy/gal might just be the greatest thing since dusted cricketts!!! get it... good luck!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...