Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

2 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Soon to be New Ball Python Owner

We are considering a normal ball python and or course, have done tons of research online and by phone. I think we're down to two questions that are unanswered and hope you all can help. We are going to a reptile show at the end of this month, but would like to be ready to buy. We have picked out a habitat and would like to know what you think about the brand and if anyone has any experience with it. I decided against trying to make my own and want to get the Exo Terra extra wide, 18x18x24. I like the front opening glass doors and the corner ventilation. I'm wondering if it would be too big for a baby? Of course, I don't have the "baby" yet so there is some room but I'm hoping for a little one to raise. I plan on just ordering everything from PetSolutions.com as they seem to be the best place for EXo Terra. If i remember correctly, I picked out the following: the habitat, the heat wave underneath heater, the glo lamp, a thermometer, terrarium lock, hygrometer, snake cave, big stick to climb on, water bowl, but I was thinking about the electronic temperature control, too. I thought I would use that felt i have been reading about as substrate, no sure though. Any pros or cons as to the Exo Terra or anything else I'm doing wrong or right?

Okay that's the first question Now, if I don't find what I want at the reptile show, I'm wondering about ordering online or by phone from someone that would have to ship my baby. This concerns me a little, I guess because I don't know anything about it. I just think if I were a snake, going fedex would freak me out! I'm going to do what I can to find one close by where I can drive to pick it up. But just wondering about the whole "we ship anywhere" thing.

I really appreciate any advice y'all can give me!

Karen

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Soon to be New Ball Python Owner

I have no experance with that exact cage, however when considering habitat for your snake the most important thing to take into account are its ability to hold and maintain heat and humidity and the cost of when you have to upgrade. Most of us use a 29gal long glass tank for the first couple of years, or the sterilite tubs. I say give it a try but if it doesent do the job be ready to change to what we know works.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I looked at pet solutions...can't find a 18x18x24 exo terra...I did see one that was 18x18x18...could that be it? All-in-all it sounds a bit large for a hatchling BP....most poeple here seem to use shoebox-sized plastic tubs for hatchlings...makes them feel nice and snug. Also realize that with proper under-tank heat, the overhead heat lamp is unneccessary for the BP. You listed 1 hide...but be sure that ultimately you have 2 identical hides....1 on the warm side and 1 on the cool side. As for the thermometer/hygrometer...forget exo terra....pick up and indoor/outdoor acu-rite from walmart for 11 dollars and change. Definitely go with the electronic heat control / thermostat to keep your temps steady.

Now, as for the exo-terra snake cave....that thing is a death trap! I believe that is the hide that has a lid on top, and the opening is cut into the lid. My wife and I tried one of the "large" sized ones. Problem is, turned sideways the lid fits into the opening of the lower "cave" section. The morning after we bought it we awoke to a nightmare! Our female BP was halfway through the opening (I assume she was headed into the cave to get snug) and her body was sliding along the top into the hole. Somehow, the weight of her body on top dislodged the lid and turned it sideways. The weight of her body (I assume) pushed the lid down into the cave, where the other half of HER was. The lid went in and pinned her to the inside side of the cave, with half her body sticking out through the opening!! No telling how long she was stuck there until we woke up! In the end it took a hammer to crack the thing and set her free!

I posted the events on the manufacturers web site forum...suggesting that an animal house with a lid was poorly designed if the lid could fit into the opening it was meant to cover....I got a short, less that satisfactory reply saying they would forward my feedback to their design team. Anyway...just my 2 cents...but I would steer clear of the exo terra snake cave!

Hope some of that helps!

-Brian

Thanks

I can't remember how it came up on Pet Solutions, but they have x-wide and x-large, the x-wide is #15522610. I have it in my cart so I can see it. Unless they are screwed up entirely. I think if you do a search for exo terra terraiums within pet solutions, the list complete list comes up. They have small, medium, large, x-large and x-wide. I liked the x-wide because I was thinking (maybe wrongly) that it would be easier to have the warm side and cooler side. I went to the exo terra website and thought they really had good equipment, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the advice too on the snake cave, looks cool - doesn't work...good to know. And yes I didn't put down two hides, but I had planned on getting two. I guess I mistakenly thought i needed upper basking heat! good to know I don't. So you think it will be hard to keep the humidity up in this type of terrarium? I thought, since it had no top screen that it would be easier. Maybe not? Learning new stuff everyday!

Thanks for the knowledge

karen

Thanks

HI Karen welcome to the forums! It sounds like you've done a great deal of research and are ready to jump into it!

Couple things, I'm not sure if you got an analog or digital thermometer. Your best option is an Acurite digital thermometer. It's got a probe (usually meant to run outside for outside temps), you can secture that to the warm side and put the thermometer on the cool side so you can get a reading for both. There's also a humidity gauge on it. It's an Acurite from Wal-mart, for about 12 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Usually when people ship FedEx, it's perfectly safe. it's done all the time. It's shipped over night to ensure that you will get it next morning.

You said you were going to a reptile how, If you want to save some money (shipping is usually about $ 50), just buy one at the reptile show. You can find them at prices like 15 bucks for babies.

Thanks

I know of those cages that you are referring to, and honestly, I don't think they are appropriate for a ball python. Simply not enough floor space and it will take some tweaking to get the heating right. Those cages are great for displays, however, a ball python is by far a display animal. They will hide all day, and when you go to sleep at night, they'll crawl all over and rearrange the decorations you took so much time to put together.

You could set up a tub, which is less aesthetically pleasing, but would serve the snakes needs more efficiently. If you are set on that exact cage, I would reconsider purchasing a ball python for it, and instead look into some types of geckos or other arboreal lizards.

All in all, spending $100+ for a cage with an 18x18" square for the snake to live in is not, in my opinion, the best way to set up a ball python. When I got my first ball python, I too wanted a nice natural display. I quickly learned that ball pythons just weren't a "match" for those types of setups and turned toward more efficient methods of housing. Since then, my small collection is thriving in their plastic enclosures and I wouldn't do it any other way.
    -Brad

Thanks

s far as your cage goes I would something for more floor space than height. You could ask a lot of people on this forum and they'll tell you that using tubs (think sterilite or rubbermaid sweater boxes) is practical and functional. It's not the most beautiful display set up, but works well. Paper towels, newspaper, shredded aspen, coconut husks, and repti-bark type substrates all work well. Some, such as hold more humidity than others, so that is a good factor to consider. But if you go for a tub set up you shouldn't find it difficult to control the humidity inside.

As far as buying a snake from a show, make sure you shop around and ask lots of questions. Look for a good and fat well-started snake that has successfully eaten on its own more than once. The more the better. Ask if it was captive bred, wild caught, or farm hatched. As a beginner, you should probably go for a well-started captive bred animal. Ask for feed/shed charts, a lot of reputable, responsible breeders will have these available. As stated, ask a lot of questions and don't base your purchase soley on the price of the animal.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

The terrarium I looked at was 24" wide x 18" high and 18" deep. I thought that would be enough floor space for a baby. The main the reason I liked it was the front entry doors instead of the top screen, the lock, and ventilation system, but evidently I need to rethink that! I guess I mistakenly thought this type of cage would hold the humidty level better too. I'll do more shopping around and find something better. I don't really care what it looks like, i just want it to be right for whatever i get.

My plan is to get a hatchling at the show we are going to in Arlington at the end of the month. I just want to make sure I have everything perfect before we bring one home.

Thanks

The problem with those cages is that they are too tall. All of the heat will basically be at the top of the cage, where you ball python won't be able to get to. A cage 18" high is really too tall for a ball python of ANY size.

I don't really care what it looks like, i just want it to be right for whatever i get.
    if thats true, then plastic caging is for you! A sterilite tub, flexwatt tape, and a good tstat will serve you well.
    -Brad

Thanks

Have you considered adopting? There are TONS of unwanted snakes available via classifieds/craigslist. Besides being inexpensive (they're often given away for free), it would give you a chance to check the demeanor of an adult (most especially, does it tolerate handling) and you can also ask to watch it eat before taking the plunge, which is important considering how finicky some are about eating.

Just my two cents.