Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,451

3 members and 3,448 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

breeding age and full grown-ness... how long?

google is only getting me so far, so i thought someone here may have some actual experience...
    so, in terms of the big three (coastal, jungle, papuan).. at what age is sexual maturity reached? i'm building a breeding colony and getting some conflicting info here... what i've read most is generally 24 mo for males and 36-48 for females?
    also, how long before these guys get to be full grown? or does it vary greatly?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: breeding age and full grown-ness... how long?

It certainly can vary quite a bit, just like with any pythons, and many other snakes I guess. I can tell you our experience with the big three. We are able to pretty much always get males up to breeding size and get clutches from them by 18 months, and females at 36 months. By this time we can usually get the following:

IJs
    males >800g
    females >1000g

Jungles and Coastals

males >1300g
    females >2000g

But, there are exceptions to everything. I have heard of people getting clutches from 18 month old females, and I have had one female that would have had the size to go at 18 months, but that would worry me a bit. I chose to have her wait another year, now she is nice and big for this year and I am excited to have her go!!! I also know that a breeder in Canada got a female IJ to give him a good clutch and she was like 950g. I think the smallest IJ male I have heard of breeding was 500g or 600g. So there are a few numbers to play with, but as I said, there are plenty of exceptions. Some individuals may need more time and/or size in order to go for you. Anyway, let us know if you have any other questions!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhmorrill
    It certainly can vary quite a bit, just like with any pythons, and many other snakes I guess. I can tell you our experience with the big three. We are able to pretty much always get males up to breeding size and get clutches from them by 18 months, and females at 36 months. By this time we can usually get the following:

IJs
    males >800g
    females >1000g

Jungles and Coastals

males >1300g
    females >2000g

But, there are exceptions to everything. I have heard of people getting clutches from 18 month old females, and I have had one female that would have had the size to go at 18 months, but that would worry me a bit. I chose to have her wait another year, now she is nice and big for this year and I am excited to have her go!!! I also know that a breeder in Canada got a female IJ to give him a good clutch and she was like 950g. I think the smallest IJ male I have heard of breeding was 500g or 600g. So there are a few numbers to play with, but as I said, there are plenty of exceptions. Some individuals may need more time and/or size in order to go for you. Anyway, let us know if you have any other questions!!!
    Just curious, aren't jungles and coastals significantly different in size? How would breeding weights be the same?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Coastals can get larger, that is for sure, but in my experience you can get them up to size in the same amount of time as jungles, and they can lay at about the same weights. But, as I said multiple times above, there are for sure exceptions and differences. I am sure if you asked 5 different carpet breeders you would get some different answers, and maybe even 5 of them.

Thanks

Personally, I decided to wait until my female IJCP was 3 years old before breeding her.

This is the first time I've seen acutal weights on breeding females though.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Thanks

thanks, yeah i was talking to will leary about this and he said the same thing... males are usually ready at a two years or less and females are almost always for sure ready by three years. he did mention that he knew one breeder in europe (didnt drop a name and i didnt ask) that routinely gets his females to breeding size in 24 months or less with no adverse results... mr. leary also had a couple males at NARBC that were yearlings but were probably close to 5' long and as big around as maybe a racketball... way bigger than my yearlings. i didnt ask what his feeding schedules are like, but i usually feed every 5-7 days with prey items about 1.25 times the size of the thickest part of their body.
    i'm in no hurry, thanks for your thoughts!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yeah, when it comes to carpets, Will knows what he is talking about!!! That is interesting about the European breeder. I have thought about trying a couple girls before two years, but haven't had the guts. Maybe one of these years. This girl is an early '06, and would be one that I could maybe try under 2 years. She is growing like a weed so far!!!

And it sure would be tempting to try her early because I think she is going to make some NICE babies...but time will tell.

Thanks

wow, nice one! yeah i'd say my yearlings are about that size... at least width wise.

Thanks

Ben,

Please excue my ignorance, but is that an IJ you're handling?
    Beautiful snake!
    Lon
    1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.1.0 Normal Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Fluorescent Orange Corn Snake, 0.1.0 Striped Motley Anery Corn Snake, 1.0.0 Albino Checkered Garter Snake
    1.1.0 D. tinctorius: Surinam Cobalt, 0.0.2 D. azureus
    1.0.0 White's Tree Frog
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1.0 Weimaraner

Thanks

BPdad,
    It looks like a cheynei (jungle) to me either way its a cutie!
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast