Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

2 members and 3,387 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Kali gets revenge!

Well... almost. I need some help/advice figuring out why this behavior came about. Last night at about 12am I pulled Kali out to hold her for a little bit. All was fine for a little bit. I have my shirt off and was half laying down and half sitting up on my bed. She was pretty much chillin on my stomach (for heat) slithering around a little bit here and here. All was great! She started to head south so I rubbed to tail end a little bit. I would take my finger and rub it down either side of her tail and she would grab my finger and hold onto it.I kept doing that because it was cool! She had her head turned like "huh? what arrrreeee you doing?". Well that was fine for about 4 minutes. Then OUT OF NO WHERE! She hissed... My eyes bulged! (I have never been bitten, and very afriad of it) She hissed again! I quickly grabbed a corner of the blanket and threw it over her head.... she struck twice at it and once in it. I turned myself to the side and dropped her on the bed. I went and put a glove on to pick her up... put her back in her tub and closed her up. I was shaking for about 10 minutes afterwards... I'm such a coward.
    Last edited by Kilo; 09-21-2006 at 08:37 AM.
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: Kali gets revenge!

Your keeping snakes bucko! Your going to get bit sooner or later. Blood Pythons are pretty nippy as babies. You probably mad her mad or scared and she was trying to defend herself.

Thanks

I have heard of people going years without ever being bitten. I kind of want her to grab me and just chop down. Once it happens I should be fine. But every time they strike either I'm not close enough or I just move...
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Wink Re: Kali gets revenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    I have heard of people going years without ever being bitten. I kind of want her to grab me and just chop down. Once it happens I should be fine. But every time they strike either I'm not close enough or I just move...
    Kilo,try not to "make" her bite you so you can be over your being scared of being bitten.This will stress her out and its unneeded.How would you like to have somebody mess with you when your cruising along? lol That was her way of saying back off chump lol.Out of all the snakes i think bloods rank second on the biting scale and retics are first(they hurt bigtime ).If she hisses or strikes at you while you are holding her try not to react to quickly as you could send her flying thru the air.Then she could be injured .I know its normal to react to danger if you will,think of something else instead of jumping up real fast like.
    Joe Haggard

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

As many snakes as you have I'm really shocked you haven't been hissed at or bitten before. Some are all talk, I've got one, then you have some that will follow through. Then you have the bullys they bite first and ask later.

You might have scared her or she might have just had enough and was like Ok buddy thats it leave me alone.

The best thing to to is not get scared of getting bit. There are worse things in life. And remember that each snake has a personality and that may be part of hers.

Heck my Leo scares the little brown poo out of me when he hisses and lunges at me.

P.S most people that get bit say that they never saw it comming and the shock of getting bit was worse than the bit.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Kilo,try not to "make" her bite you so you can be over your being scared of being bitten.This will stress her out and its unneeded.How would you like to have somebody mess with you when your cruising along? lol That was her way of saying back off chump lol.Out of all the snakes i think bloods rank second on the biting scale and retics are first(they hurt bigtime ).If she hisses or strikes at you while you are holding her try not to react to quickly as you could send her flying thru the air.Then she could be injured .I know its normal to react to danger if you will,think of something else instead of jumping up real fast like.
    Oh I definitely would never "make" one my of babies bite me. I was just hopeing one would finally succeed lol. At first it took me a second to realize she was hissing... so I didn't jump really... just kind of put the blanket over her and slowly rolled and to slide her onto the bed. I definitely did not want to make her more stressed than she seemed to be. I guess I didn't consider her "possible temperment" all I think of when I see Kali is that picture of dannngconcepts huggy her big boy.

Freakie... thats the odd part about it. I know it won't really hurt.. I could definitely handle any bite my babies can throw at me. It's how they bite that is scary lol. The striking! If it would slowely slither up to me open its mouth and just bite it would be different. But they are sneaky and quick lol.
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

I know how you feel, I think there's always that fear of getting a bite. It's not so much the bite that freaks ya out though. My 4 foot miami phase was horrible and would lunge out of the feeding box I would scream every time! A snake of any size coming at your face with there mouth wide open will scare that crap out of you, I dont care who you are lol. He did make contact on more then one occasion, none of which hurt but scared the hell out of me.

I keep trying to remember to not jerk my hand away.....but really isnt that human nature?

I'm not scared of the Bp's we have chomping down.....now that I said that I'll get a good bite from each and everyone tonight I know it

Any way good luck with her...and remember if she is a girl...well we all tend to get pissed off and bite a guys head off...no rhyme or reason half the time.

Thanks

Kyle , welcome to the world of snakes ...haha

Bloods "hiss" as babies and as adults I am sure other blood owners will confirm this I wouldn't worry about it.

I have never been bitten by any of my bloods but they have hissed alot and had a few attempts striking, its just part of their makeup IMO however I dont agree they are bad biters tbh but some may dissagree I dont know I am speaking from my own experience with them.

I would ranks Retics, Anaconda's above them by a long shot but they are very defensive as babies and can be prone to true and false striking as well as hissing but short periods of handling is best when they are young IMO as in my experience anyway it takes time and patience to get them familiar with handling but they never lose the hissy attitude sometimes.

You should try to remain calm focused and confident around them and keep the handling brief during the training period, I think you will find she becomes more "used" to it as she grows and becomes more confident herself through consistent feeding and shedding.

There is a reason they are not beginner snakes and that to me mainly the ability to read snake behaviour through experience of snake keeping in general.

Whatever you do dont let it dent your confidence , persistence patience and understanding are key factors working with Bloods the way I see it and you will be rewarded if you work on these.

Try and just learn from it, take stock of the situation as it happened and keep it mind an dput it down to just more experience you have witnessed and been part of.

The beauty of these animals like other snakes is learning how they behave and respond and moulding youself to the snakes requirement rather than trying to force the snake to mould to yours.

I am glad to see your gaining valuable experience regardless

There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

No bites here either buddy but I agree with you can't wait to get it out of the way.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Sometimes with problem feeders you rub the food on the side of the snake and thisll annoy them enough(or make them realize they are hungry) and will strike. Maybe as you rubbed her or whatever, she believed it was dinner time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast