Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

1 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

my new ball python

I have always been interested in snakes and I am planning on getting a BP very soon. Anyway I did a lot of research and BP's seem the most affordable (at least a normal BP) and the easiest to maintain and care for. My question is simply are there any surprises that might come up that would make caring for the snake incredibly difficult or costly? I certainly don't want it to die and would never just dump it somewhere but around here it seems next to impossible to get rid of a big snake (if I absolutely had too, which once I get it I definately want to keep it).

Thanks

Re: my new ball python

thanx for any info you can give me

Thanks

You said you've done lots of research.. then why do you think a ball python is a big snake? ..I mean as in hard to get rid of. I would classify snakes such as burmese and reticulated pythons as 'big snakes'.

Anyway.. there are snakes that are easier to care for than ball pythons.. such as corn snakes, milk, king, rat snakes and other colubrids. They generally don't require the strict temperature gradient as ball pythons and are easier to keep eating on a regular basis.

That said, ball pythons can be a fine choice for a beginner if you do your research.

I would recommend you read our care sheet if you haven't already and if you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

http://ball-pythons.net/modules.php?...warticle&id=59

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Well, snakes are not cheap. Please keep that in mind. You need heat, you need a way to regulate that heat, you need a way to measure that heat accurately. You need food every week. Make sure there's a constant supply of that.

Also, vet bills can be expensive he your lil guy gets sick. That's with any pet tho. so keep that in mind. Good luck with your snake! we are ALWAYS here! we love to answer questions

Thanks

If I could make one suggestion, just get the enclosure set up and running for a few days before you buy your snake, this way you can work out any issues you may have before your BP arrives.
    Jeff

"Parents are not interested in justice, they're interested in peace and quiet."
    -Bill Cosby-

Thanks

I like looking at the enclosure to see if I can spot where my BP is hiding, so I went with a glass vivarium. VERY Expensive. If money is tight go with the sterilite option.

I have put $350 into my vivarium and I only paid $25 for my snake.
    -Akiva

1.0 Norm BP - Fluffy
    0.1 Wife - Nina
    1.1 Children - Sam, Aura

Thanks

I've spent a pretty penny on all my snakes and their set ups. THEY are the cheap part, it's taking care of them the right way that gets to be expensive!

Do your math, get everything for the tub/tank, set ot all up and get it all working... fix any "kinks" that may go wrong, then the LAST thing you do is go out and get the snake!

Good luck!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Another thing to remember is the old addage(sp) "you get what you pay for" is also true with snakes. For instance if you buy from a pet store you may get off cheap, but then the animal may have parasites or be sick or not eating (most pet stores don't keep charts) But....if you buy from a breeder, a normal is pretty cheap in itself, it's the shipping charges that are costly. You also get a picture of the parents (usually) and may have an easier time getting the snake to eat. Most pet stores sell W/C or C/H and breeders (most) sell C/B. Go with a breeder IMO, you won't regret it.
    1.0 Amel Corn (Pepino) 0.1 Black Lab (Raven a.k.a. "The Girl") 1.0 Normal BP(Gambit)