Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

0 members and 3,147 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Corn snake owners

Hey everybody, I was thinking for the last three weeks to getting a bp, for my son. But after research I think the Corn has some + for kids. Your thoughts please.

John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Corn snake owners

Quote Originally Posted by MAC 1
    Hey everybody, I was thinking for the last three weeks to getting a bp, for my son. But after research I think the Corn has some + for kids. Your thoughts please.

John
    John, corn snakes are a great snake for the kids for several reasons.The first is there are soooo many color variations is endless.Second they will stay a easily handled size.I have a trio of breeders and picking up a few more differant types this year and i love working with them.Corn snakes are the poodles of the snakes in my opinion lol.I have a baby that i am keeping back from my clutches this year and everytime its feeding time he tries to kill me .He rattles his little tail and bump bites me(not real biting) that i just laugh at him .If your looking at a corn and have any questions feel free to ask me i would be glad to help you out.I even have 3 due to hatch by the end of the month,if you decide you want one from a breeder .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

You didn't mention how old your son is. Corns are very good starter snakes, especially for younger children. They rarely bite and can tolerate a lot of handling. They aren't as sensitive to envirnomental changes as Balls, and are great eaters. However, they require a very secure cage as they are notorious escape artists.

There really is no right or wrong snake. They both make excellent pets, however I would probably recommend a corn snake if your son is under 10.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    You didn't mention how old your son is. Corns are very good starter snakes, especially for younger children. They rarely bite and can tolerate a lot of handling. They aren't as sensitive to envirnomental changes as Balls, and are great eaters. However, they require a very secure cage as they are notorious escape artists.

There really is no right or wrong snake. They both make excellent pets, however I would probably recommend a corn snake if your son is under 10.
    Yea i forgot to mention the escape part sorry.I love corn does that mean i am under 10
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Yea i forgot to mention the escape part sorry.I love corn does that mean i am under 10
    LOL. Only in spirit. That's okay, I like them a lot too.

-Lawrence

Thanks

My son is 10, he will be 11 in 2.5 mo. I have a cage set up for a ball. Were we live we have humidity around 70% will this be ok.

Thanks

My son is 10, he will be 11 in 2.5 mo. I have a cage set up for a ball. Were we live we have humidity around 70% will this be ok.
    That sounds old enough for either snake. You might want to let your son research both snakes and even go to a pet store to handle them to see which one he prefers. 70% is a little high for Balls, but it should be okay if you keep an eye on the substrate to make sure any spills get cleaned up immediately. If you have a cage with a heat lamp, that should drop the humidity down quite a bit.

-Lawrence

Thanks

The really only thing that is totaly differant with the corns is the heat temps.I keep there enclosures set at 80 degrees on the hot side.A full grown corn can live in a 20 long its whole life as this is what my breeders are in.Where are you located?
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

He has handeled the baby balls. From what I have read the balls are pretty layed back, & the corn a little more active & likes to be out & handeled.

30x12x12 uth bead a beast,acu-rite. 2 hides,water dish.
    Just went to the pet store & looked at corn & got a book.

Thanks

Not that this forum isn't great for many reptile species, but you might also check out the forums on cornsnakes.com, which is, obvisously, specifically targeted for cornsnakes and has many reknown corn snake breeders who post regularly.

I love the pictures forum as you can get a chance to see all sorts of corn snake morphs, from just pipped size to adult. =)

I want to get a cornsnake myself eventually; I love the morph "sunglow motley", an albino form of cornsnake that has been bred to have very little to no white and to have a spotted pattern on the back (if I'm describing that correctly).

But I also really like the cornsnakes known as Miami phase (orange/red and gray/silver coloring) and Okeetee (orange with bold black outlines). =)
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast