Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,225

3 members and 1,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I came out of the closet...

...and told the people at work that I have... snakes as pets.
    "AAgagAgaaaagh!" (insert horribly loud and fake horror-movie scream here.)
    For the most part, my "team" of 6 other people didn't really care much; though I may have fell a notch with my supervisor, who said that she never could bear feeding mice/rats to things. But she has a Beardie, so she can't be that reptiphobic; I purposely said this all while a certain coworker was not present, as I know she HATES snakes because of the whole "evil" aspect for smoe reason... but it feels pretty cool to have that secret off my chest at work.

Then people of course, started going round with positive stories about how their aunt had a boa; etc. So no, no one hates me for it; just sadly, no one shares my snakey pet-having, sigh. Although there are about 500 people that work for the company.. maybe I could put a sign in the breakroom: dial my extention if you like snakes! lol. Nah, I'll stick to BP.net.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

Re: I came out of the closet...

Jen, I thought the I came out of the closet was something else. hahaha well now your a known snake keeper, sounds good to me. ED

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Wink Re: I came out of the closet...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    "AAgagAgaaaagh!" (insert horribly loud and fake horror-movie scream here.)
    For the most part, my "team" of 6 other people didn't really care much; though I may have fell a notch with my supervisor, who said that she never could bear feeding mice/rats to things. But she has a Beardie, so she can't be that reptiphobic; I purposely said this all while a certain coworker was not present, as I know she HATES snakes because of the whole "evil" aspect for smoe reason... but it feels pretty cool to have that secret off my chest at work.

Then people of course, started going round with positive stories about how their aunt had a boa; etc. So no, no one hates me for it; just sadly, no one shares my snakey pet-having, sigh. Although there are about 500 people that work for the company.. maybe I could put a sign in the breakroom: dial my extention if you like snakes! lol. Nah, I'll stick to BP.net.
    Sorry you are not allowed to have other reptile freinds .Some people just have no clue on what they are missing lol.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

i know exacty how you feel. this year for my birthday all i wanted was a ball python, i had done the research for a good couple of weeks, talked with my neighbor who has 2 of them. i was very excited when my boyfriend and i went to the pet store and got my new little friend. eveyone asked what did i get for my bday and i told them. oh boy almost everyone said WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT A SNAKE- you are a 26 year old woman why not get a diamond necklace or a nice watch. uggh, but its my decision and one that i am so happy i made. people should do what makes them happy and not what others think will make them happy.
    congrats on the newest member of your family and i hope you are as proud of your bp as i am of mine

Thanks

I have discussed field herping and photography with my coworkers before with great reactions....we were discussing stuff that has been encountered on job site visits.... Shared some pretty interesting stories too
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

I have always talked about my snakes at work to my co-workers, while most can't figure out why I would keep a snake, I did peak their interests and today I proudly showed everyone pictures of my BP (Gambit). They are probably sick of me by now but, when I get excited about something, I can't stop talking about it. They all did agree that he was beautiful. There is hope.....
    1.0 Amel Corn (Pepino) 0.1 Black Lab (Raven a.k.a. "The Girl") 1.0 Normal BP(Gambit)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't work at a typical day-job...being a stay-at-home-Mom and all. However, I go out of my way sometimes to make sure I get to hang out with grown-ups as much as possible.

I've never kept it a "secret" that I love and keep snakes. I may not go out of my way to announce it (that'd be rude and weird...LOL)...but I do find myself looking forward to an appropriate "opening" in a conversation to talk about them. I actually enjoy the wide variety of reactions I get. And if someone were to reject a friendship based on the fact that I like snakes...well, they probably wouldn't have made a very good friend anyhow.
    -- Judy

Registered User Blackmagebasser's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    That's fine so long as you do it behind closed doors. No one wants to see that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeaz
    WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT A SNAKE- you are a 26 year old woman why not get a diamond necklace
    Same here - I know what I'd prefer to wear around my neck - and it ain't diamonds LOL!

I do a milk rota for the people here at work and it takes up like a column on the far left hand side of the paper - leaving the right hand column blank - so I thought I'd pretty it up last term and did a few little pics of Johnny Depp down the side (he's popular here!). This term I did one Johnny Depp and one of my BP Emily - a lovely periscoping pic I'm really proud of. I went on a 2-week vacation and found someone had put sticky white paper over Emily's pic I was sooooo hurt I considered writing a general office email saying my snake's gone missing and was last seen in the kitchen in the basement ....

Thanks

lol. same here.
    hence my work name Snake Woman.
    Not to be confused with the equally popular Fast Woman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast