Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

1 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Getting some rat snake eggs..

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    Yes, they were laid on the 11th-12th. My friend was keeping the parents together in a tank, and they must have mated; apparently the female laid the eggs and then somehow escaped the tank.
    The thingie they're in now, the tackle-box tray, is sealed tight; I opened it a few times daily for air exchange (this is OK, right?) And once hatching time comes around, I will make sure there's no water in the spaces of the tray I described above; wouldn't want any of them to drown!
    I had baby garter snakes years ago; they were live-birth, but for size reasons, I know how small they were!! Thinner than a pencil by far, and with little bubble-like heads..
    So would these babies just eat small mice? I am thinking that even the tiniest rat would be too big unless maybe just born?
    Jen,i make sure the eggs have the water for humidity the whole time incubating.Its best to only check the eggs maybe once every week as you let out the humidity and then it has to be remade.Yea the babies heads will be a little bigger compared to the body size lol.I feed my babies day old mouse pinkies and for the first meal the smaller the pinky is the better.I have found that the size of the first meal can determine if the baby is going to eat well or be a finicky eater.Majority of the babies i had this year first meal was a frozen thawed day old pinky mouse.Out of the 5 i have left 3 will eat frozen thawed pinkies 2 will only eat live lol.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, both of you! I will not open the container so much now that I know that; I just didn't want them to suffocate. Is it OK for the container to be airtight, or should I leave the lid open a notch? I know this would lead to humidity loss though..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, both of you! I will not open the container so much now that I know that; I just didn't want them to suffocate. Is it OK for the container to be airtight, or should I leave the lid open a notch? I know this would lead to humidity loss though..
    OOOPS i forgot to tell you to make a few holes all the way around the container for air flow.I am so sorry i forgot that part
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

OK; done!
    The eggs are doing pretty good.. just sitting there.. being eggs.. sorry, no real update One of them looks to be getting yellow and has a big dent that did not pop out like the others' dents did though; maybe a dud. I'll leave it in there to see anyways.
    Ball pythons:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If they're anything like the black rat snakes we hatched they will be just about the most agressive little devils youve ever seen till you handle them a little bit. The babies we had more or less filled the entire egg, so they may suprize you a little bit on size.

Thanks

::update:: (like on Unsolved Mysteries; remember that show? The eggs are doing good! 1-2 of them are dead looking but the rest are good.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

::update:: (like on Unsolved Mysteries; remember that show? The eggs are doing good! 1-2 of them are dead looking but the rest are good.
    Wow i forgot about your eggs .Good sign that they should hatch some little ones soon .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Awesome Jen! My last clutch of corns just hatched the other day. I love havin' the little worms around, and I'm sure you will too next month! Keep us posted!

-Evan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123