Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

4 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Negative reputation

I've been negative rep'd twice - both by new users that didn't care for the advice I offered them. The funny thing is, I also got positive rep'd for the same posts from other members!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i have, the most recent was for "kissing butt" (to Adam i guess.). i dont know who it was (actually im pretty sure i do but i dont want to say and get him all mad to give me more, LOL).

doesnt really bother me much. im still a "a face we're always glad to see"
    -marshall

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    I've been negative rep'd twice - both by new users that didn't care for the advice I offered them. The funny thing is, I also got positive rep'd for the same posts from other members!
    Now this is a real problem.The new people come on here and ask for advice and when they get something they do not want to hear they neg rep someone .Please correct me if i am wrong isnt there a time span new people have to be here before they can give rep points at all? I had a newbie give me a rep for helping her with her snake but i noticed it did not change the number of rep points :eek: .The majority of the time when i give rep points i make a comment then /joepythons so they know its from me.I am not doing this for the possibility of getting return points i just feel its more personal knowing who it came from.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    Now this is a real problem.The new people come on here and ask for advice and when they get something they do not want to hear they neg rep someone .Please correct me if i am wrong isnt there a time span new people have to be here before they can give rep points at all?
    It is true that new people can't affect "rep points"...however, they can still utilize the rep system to leave comments, either positive or negative. So something may LOOK like a neg rep hit from a new person, but if the little box beside it is grey, then no points were actually given or taken away.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    It is true that new people can't affect "rep points"...however, they can still utilize the rep system to leave comments, either positive or negative. So something may LOOK like a neg rep hit from a new person, but if the little box beside it is grey, then no points were actually given or taken away.
    Judy,thanks thats what i thought.You are such a nice person to respond to our questions in such a fast manner.(whispers i hope i do not get any neg butt kissing points ) lol.Yes i am being goofy
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Judy,thanks thats what i thought.You are such a nice person to respond to our questions in such a fast manner.(whispers i hope i do not get any neg butt kissing points ) lol.Yes i am being goofy
    Hehehehe....my pleasure.
    -- Judy

Thanks

When i first become a member here i was hit with some negative rep points because i said something someone misunderstood.
    Are you sure it wasn't because of one of your pictures?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    Are you sure it wasn't because of one of your pictures?
    Now that is really funny! ... I like it ... Positive rep points for you!!!

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

(IMHO) The only real problem with the rep system here, in it's current state, is the lack of accountability. You can bet that if the people knew that their neg. rep points wouldn't be anonymous and the person receiving the neg. rep could see who was dishing out the points, people would think twice before dropping negative reputation. That's why I try to always leave my name after I leave rep points, good or bad, but sometimes I do forget that the person can't see who gave them the comment. I forget the reason why, but in another thread somewhere, the site admin explained why they choose to keep the persons id hidden, and I'm too lazy tonight to go find what that reason was....
    Sam Mounts
    Gecko Den

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Den
    (IMHO) The only real problem with the rep system here, in it's current state, is the lack of accountability. You can bet that if the people knew that their neg. rep points wouldn't be anonymous and the person receiving the neg. rep could see who was dishing out the points, people would think twice before dropping negative reputation. That's why I try to always leave my name after I leave rep points, good or bad, but sometimes I do forget that the person can't see who gave them the comment. I forget the reason why, but in another thread somewhere, the site admin explained why they choose to keep the persons id hidden, and I'm too lazy tonight to go find what that reason was....
    Rep points are anonymous (unless the person giving them chooses to sign their name) in order to prevent games of "payback" or whatnot. HOWever....if you feel like you have a legitimate issue with an anonymous rep-hit that you've gotten, please feel free to contact an admin about it and explain. They're not anonymous to us, so we will know if someone is abusing the system or not.
    -- Judy

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast