Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

1 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How old do you think?

I became a "snake freak" pretty much by accident, after my wife, during a dog food run at Petco, finally gave in to my 2 sons' 4-year-long begging for a BP. We named it "Fluffy" thinking it would be funny and original, and now we find out it's not such an unusual snake name... oh well.

We have no idea how old Fluffy is... can you experts out there help us figure it out? Also, any suggestions/comments about our setup (last pic)? Thanks!

Thanks

Re: How old do you think?

i would guess ~1 year....i'm no pro...but if i have to guess, that's what i'd say.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Fluffy is very cute!

A few observations on the set-up. He needs two hides, one on each side of the tank, and hides that are smaller than the one he has.

One side of your tank should be 92-94 degrees, the other side 82-84 degrees.

The dials that you are using to measure temps/humidity are notorious for being off as much as 10 degrees. Next time you're in Walmart, swing by the hardware department and pick up an AcuRite Digital Indoor/Outdoor thermometer/hygrometer ($11.88) that takes one AAA battery. You set the unit in the cool side of the enclosure (I velcroed mine to the inside at ground level) and run the probe into the warm side hide.

You can make some nice hides out of some plastic bowls that you can get from Dollar General and Dollar Store, usually a pack of three for $1 and then solder out entrances. Ball pythons feel more secure when they have nice tight hides.

Also, is your only heat source the lamp? I don't see a UTH (under tank heater). Ball pythons need belly heat to aid in digestion and do not bask, so overhead lighting is really only used as supplemental heat, since they tend to try out the enclosure (you want your humidity to be around 50% during non-shed - 70% during shed). And the UTH needs to be controlled by a good thermostat, such as a Johnson's or Ranco that you can pick up at http://www.reptilebasics.com.

Thanks

i agree with nathan. looks about the same size as my bp and he's almost a year old. how much does he weigh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    Welcome! Fluffy is very cute!

A few observations on the set-up. He needs two hides, one on each side of the tank, and hides that are smaller than the one he has.

One side of your tank should be 92-94 degrees, the other side 82-84 degrees.

The dials that you are using to measure temps/humidity are notorious for being off as much as 10 degrees. Next time you're in Walmart, swing by the hardware department and pick up an AcuRite Digital Indoor/Outdoor thermometer/hygrometer ($11.88) that takes one AAA battery. You set the unit in the cool side of the enclosure (I velcroed mine to the inside at ground level) and run the probe into the warm side hide.

You can make some nice hides out of some plastic bowls that you can get from Dollar General and Dollar Store, usually a pack of three for $1 and then solder out entrances. Ball pythons feel more secure when they have nice tight hides.

Also, is your only heat source the lamp? I don't see a UTH (under tank heater). Ball pythons need belly heat to aid in digestion and do not bask, so overhead lighting is really only used as supplemental heat, since they tend to try out the enclosure (you want your humidity to be around 50% during non-shed - 70% during shed). And the UTH needs to be controlled by a good thermostat, such as a Johnson's or Ranco that you can pick up at http://www.reptilebasics.com.
    Thanks, Robin. I have a UTH on the right hand side (opposite the water), on the back corner, but not directly under the hide. Fluffy is a burrower, and he used to dig down to the glass on top of the UTH, and I cut/sanded a wood board and put it on top of the glass in that section to serve as insulation, and that seems to have done the trick. I'll get another hide to put on the other end of the tank. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Snake 06
    i agree with nathan. looks about the same size as my bp and he's almost a year old. how much does he weigh?
    Good question... I have no idea. I'll bring it into our office and weigh it on the postal meter. I guarantee you there will be some funny reactions from my coworkers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fersal
    Good question... I have no idea. I'll bring it into our office and weigh it on the postal meter. I guarantee you there will be some funny reactions from my coworkers!
    LOL! then you can post under the "reaction" thread! Fluffy's got a QTE face! She's a doll!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...