Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

1 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Best way to get started

deleted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAudOne
    So, then, what if *you* are the breeder?? For instance, when you breed your new hets in a few years....how will you know which offspring are 100% hets, and which are "normal" (only 66% hets according to Joe). Seems it would be very nice to know the difference...especially if you plan to sell the offspring. How does any breeder know they are selling a 100% het and not, say, a 66% het.

If there is no way to tell the difference....it seems the uncertainty would continue to carry over if you start breeding the offspring, too...

Forgive my curiousity, but my wife is quite interested in getting into this so I am trying to learn as much as I can. I would hate to invest in 2 het pied snakes (for example) and have them produce offspring that look normal, and have absolutely no idea which are 100% hets and which aren't.

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

-BT
    Well thats the thing with hets.

You never know which is normal, and which is het pied.THUS, all of the normal looking ones have a 66% chance of being het pied.

If you breed two Definate (100%) het pieds, you will still make some pieds.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

So, then, what if *you* are the breeder?? For instance, when you breed your new hets in a few years....how will you know which offspring are 100% hets, and which are "normal" (only 66% hets according to Joe). Seems it would be very nice to know the difference...especially if you plan to sell the offspring. How does any breeder know they are selling a 100% het and not, say, a 66% het.

If there is no way to tell the difference....it seems the uncertainty would continue to carry over if you start breeding the offspring, too...

Forgive my curiousity, but my wife is quite interested in getting into this so I am trying to learn as much as I can. I would hate to invest in 2 het pied snakes (for example) and have them produce offspring that look normal, and have absolutely no idea which are 100% hets and which aren't.

Thanks for all the helpful responses!

-BT

(Accidently posted this under my wife's account - TheAudOne. That is why I deleted and reposted....sorry!)

Thanks

So Shaun - If you breed 2 100% hets - what do you do with the offspring that look normal?? You can't say for sure which are 100% het and which aren't?

-BT

Thanks

No way to tell unless you breed them.

That's why you breed ALL the females back to the father, so you can find out which one is het.
    - The Member Formerly Known as Bpkid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bjthomps
    How does any breeder know they are selling a 100% het and not, say, a 66% het.
    The only possible way to have a 100% het is to breed a homozygous animal to either a normal or heterozygous. The different percentages come from the following:

Het x Normal = 50% Possible Het (All normal looking)
    Het x Het = 66% Possible Het (in a 4 egg example, 1 Homozygous, 2 Hets, 1 Normal - thus... the 3 that look normal, are 66% possible hets.. and that is how they're marketed)

Homo x Normal = 100% Het (ALL Normal looking)
    Homo x Het = 100% Het (1/2 Homo, 1/2 Het)

You can't have an animal that has a percentage "chance" of having the gene... they either DO or DO NOT, but because all of the offspring are normal looking, the percentages come in when deciding to sell or market the animals, or to breed them to prove them out.

Confused now? We all were at some point!
    Ken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123