Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,129

0 members and 2,129 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Sterilite Tank Setup (Please help!)

I know there have been many threads about this, but I couldn't find any. My first BP Elizabeth has gotten quite big, and it's time for me to move her into a tub where she can be happy as a full grown BP. I really don't have the kind of income I need as of now to buy a new glass tank or some other type of Herp terrarium that I envy so much. I do know that you guys (sorry for the generalization) often suggest a sterilite container. This is what I'm planning on purchasing, but could you please tell me if I need to make some corrections?

-Two new hides (she tends to spill out a little bit in the one's I have now)
    -18x36 in sterilite container
    -two new heating pads (one for cooler side, one for basking side; are the one's at Petco ok?)
    -two reptiturf pads for substrate
    -maybe a new branch or something for her to climb on, even though I already have a few...

I'm going to use the water bowl she has right now as it is quite large. What do I need to do to the lid to make sure she doesn't suffocate? Drill holes? If so, how many and how big? I think that is all. If you have some suggestions for me I am greatly appreciative!!!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Sterilite Tank Setup (Please help!)

I am on my way to wal-mart to get a cheapo soldering iron to melt holes in my enclosures. Drilling holes cracks the plastic and can leave some sharp edges. Try that approach. be careful tho.

Just make them about a half inch wide, just enough to get some air flow. Not too big...don't want her getting out.

Thanks

Re: Sterilite Tank Setup (Please help!)

You may not want reptiturf for substrate as it's very annoying to keep clean. If you want cheap, maybe newspaper?

Btw, these tubs are perfect for adult BPs (the 1960 model; the long, flat one at the bottom). It's dimensions are 34 3/4"L x 16 1/2"W x 6"H. Not very tall, but that doesn't matter since they're not arboreal anyway.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI